Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Howard Brazee, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

It appears that Leopard includes Boot Camp (http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/leopard/index.html).

My wife will be buying a Mac (probably with Leopard), but needs Windows for a while (I have extra copies of XP). She might keep Windows for a long time for some games. But if she's using it for games, I doubt if she wants to shut down her Mac to play them. That would indicate that Fusion or Parallels would be worth the money.

What should she be considering?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You know there's a whole forum for Windows on Mac issues.

Anyhow, if the games are 2D graphics and don't depend on 3D acceleration Parallels or VMWare should be OK. My kids play a number of their edutainment games in Parallels... I wouldn't expect WoW to work.

B

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For parallels she'll need a lot of RAM. 3D performance should improve greatly before leopard [/Crosses fingers\]

4. Howard Brazee thread starter macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

For all three choices - how much RAM should she plan on having in her iMac?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

True, even for my modest needs it only became really usable after I upgraded the iMac to 2 GB.

Plus, I forgot to mention that with the latest beta of Parallels you don't have to pick since you can share one Windows install between Boot Camp and Parallels.

B

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Just to think about...Boot Camp is a codename and a program in beta. Yes, the real thing will be included with Leopard, but we have no way of knowing how it will work. It may not require a restart to boot windows. Hopefully we'll get more details tomorrow.