Boot Camps, Leopards, and OS Updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by confusedconnie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2013
    I've been using a 2004 Lenovo PC that ran on Windows XP Pro for about 8 years until just recently when the hinges came apart. My mom got rid of her old MacBook and upgraded to the newest Mac (idek what it is) so I now have her MacBook.

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to get Boot Camp, whether or not I can upgrade OS and do how much do I have to pay -- if anything... I'm not used to Macs at all.

I wanted to install Boot Camp so I could buy BioShock (from the App Store) but I don't even know how to go about getting Boot Camp.

It says you need 10.5 or later to install Boot Camp and it says something about Leopards and Lions and I really don't know what's going on, I just want to play BioShock, I'm just not sure what I need to do.

Below are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
    Serial Number (system): W87080F1WGL
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2D53A57
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

If you couldn't tell already, I'm a complete computer and Apple NOOB. I'll take all the help I can get :D
  2. justperry, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

macrumors 603

You have a late Macbook 13" 2006, it can run OS X version Max. 10.7.4 and the name of 10.7.X is Lion.
    Yours came with 10.4.8, 10.4.X is called Tiger.

So, you need to install at least 10.5 Leopard minimum, these disks are expensive and can only be bought on Ebay, they go for as high as $100 or higher.

I would recommend 10.6 Snow Leopard, it is for your Machine most likely the fastest one, it won't cost you an arm and a leg, you can buy from Apple for $ 19.99 online.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

I also recommend to buy a bit of RAM extra, Apple says 2 GB Maximum but actual is 3 GB.
    A strange thing is in the below summary it says 4 GB while MacTracker (Application) says 3 GB as seen in Screenshots.

Yours is this one:

Model introduced: 2006
    Serial number: XXXXXXXXXX
    Production year: 2007
    Production week: 08 (February)
    Production number: 511 (within this week)
    Name: MacBook (late 2006)
    ModelCode: mb_late_06
    Model Number: MA700
    Group1: MacBook
    Group2: nothing
    Generation: 2
    Machine Model: MacBook2,1
    CPU speed: 2.0GHz
    Family name: A1181
    Screen size: 13 inch
    Screen resolution: 1280x800 pixels
    Colour: White
    Memory - flavour: DDR2-S-667
    Memory - number of slots: 2
    Memory - maximum total: 4GB
    Memory - largest module: 2GB

Attached Files:

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2013
    My MacBook is version 10.5.8
  4. justperry, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

macrumors 603

And, if you click Bootcamp it asks for 10.5?

If this is the case then I think that is odd since you have 10.5
    Try again and make a screenshot and post it here.

Command-Shift-4, then hit spacebar and click on the window you want a shot of.

Command is the key with an Apple on it, on the left next to spacebar.

P.S. I updated my last post.

Edit: A good thing to do first is to run Software Update, it is under the Apple in the Menu Bar
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2013
    I never tried installing it.
    Here's the ss of the Boot Camp requirements:[​IMG]

But the thing is, the game I want to buy requires OS X 10.6.4 or later. Is it possible to update my 10.5.8 to a 10.6.6 and then install Boot Camp and buy the game or is that not possible in the Apple world?

Also, I ran a Software Update and it said my system was up to date.
  6. macrumors 603

As I said before and if you look at the screenshots I provided you can see you can go up to 10.7.4, this means 10.6.X is also no problem.
    10.6 is $19.99 in the Apple Store, I provided the link above.
    Be aware that Lion (10.7.X) is not really a good OS, it's buggy and one of Apple's worst OS, a bit like Vista but not similar of course.

You might consider A VM though like Parallels but gaming is less good than running it in Windows natively under bootcamp instead of running it in a Virtual Machine.
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2013
    So you recommend 10.6 over 10.7? Would it be a better investment to get 10.7 because newer games will require higher OS? Also, what exactly does Boot Camp do? Like, will my computer be running on Windows XP and not Apple? Will I not be able to convert back if I wanted to?

Also, if I buy 10.6, is Boot Camp free or do I also have to pay for that?
  8. macrumors 603

10.7.4 is buggy, as I said the worst OS Apple released, but you might be lucky and be able to get 10.8 Moutain Lion, it is NOT officially supported by Apple and needs a hack to install.

Bootcamp is free, it's a built in Application which will help you install Windows on a SEPARATE Partition, but you need windows and windows of course is NOT free.
    You also need to boot into windows so OS X is not available and also the other way around.
    A Virtual Machine App like Parallels allows you to run Windows Applications in OS X natively and you might consider this, but parallels is kinda expensive.
    Besides that if you have Parallels you also need a windows license.
    There is also a free VM called Virtual Box, you might have a look at this.

Oracle VM VirtualBox
  9. macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Palmetto Florida
    Try: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install. You can find this on my Thread "Bootcamp Help" going down the line from your thread. I just finished duel booting a 2006 Macbook with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 & Windows XP. Using the above it worked like a charm.
  10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2013
    Where is the option to update to Snow Leopard? Do you just search it in the App Store or what?
    And after I update it to 10.6.3, would I then just install Boot Camp (your thread was kind of confusing)?
  11. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    If you have not figured it out yet, you buy it from the Apple Online Store via this page. It comes as physical DVD, which you have to insert into your Mac and run the installer from.