Boot disk, Raid, and Final Cut?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NRose8989, Jul 7, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

I've heard somewhere that its not good to have your scratch disk set on your boot drive, is this true? Final Cut performance is most important, but i would also like to archive my DVD collection to be a media server to my apple tv etc. so storage for all that has to come from somewhere.
    NOTE.. i would like to reserve my 4th bay for windows only drive and a software raid will be used for these.

what would you think is a better set-up,

3x internal drives (all of the same model, probably WD 640's) set in raid 0 (both serve as boot drive and scratch disk) occupying bays 1, 2, and 3. In this set-up, everything (DVD's, music, photos, final cut media) would be stored on this array.

OR

1x large boot drive (probably 1TB) in bay 1 and 2x internal drives (probably WD 640's) in bays 2 and 3 set in raid 0. In this set-up, DVD's, music, and photos would be stored on the boot drive, while the raid array would only be used as a scratch disk and store final cut media files

again performance is most important and don't worry, i have a external back-up solution for this. Thanks in Advance.

2. macrumors member

I like option two better. You will get better performance with 3 drives in raid 0 but too many points of failure, IMO.

3. macrumors 6502a

ya I'm in a bit of a delemia, if i went with a all raid setup (option 1), i would have to get a more elaborate back up solution like a drobo but unfortunatly it's not a firewire array, only USB. and i heard that you can't apply firmware updates while booted on a raid, is this true? then i would have to get another drive with OS X install on it just to apply firmware updates.

but having a super fast boot raid sounds very appealing.

aside from more points of failure, does having your scratch disk set on your boot drive effect performance?

ugh so many decisions. I probably will get 3 WD 640's then experiment with different setups.

4. macrumors regular

My recommendation....

(4) drives, WD640's

1 - Boot Drive
    2 - Music / Photos / Video (i.e., HOME folder)
    3/4 - Raid 0 for scratch disk, projects in work.

External 1 GB Time Machine as an added security bonus.

5. macrumors 6502a

That used to be true, but I think later firmware updates worked from stripe RAIDs. When the earlier updates didn't work, I booted from an external FW drive to install & apply the update. Later updates didn't seem to need that.

Sounds about right, though I don't know if scratch disk should be the same drives as your video projects. I can't help but wonder if fast 1TB drives across the board would be a better bet because storage needs can get out of hand with video projects.