Boot DOS on intel mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by glitch44, Jan 13, 2007.

1. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I'm curious-- can you boot DOS on an intel mac? Not dosbox, not a emulation of some sort, but actually boot DOS from a flash drive/ cd rom?

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I highly doubt it, you won't have a PC BIOS without an emulator of some sort.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. jmmv macrumors newbie

Boot Camp provides a module for the EFI to "emulate" a regular BIOS, which allows non-EFI compliant OSes (aka Windows, Linux, etc.) to boot on these machines.

I don't know how complete this BIOS layer is, but if it was complete, DOS could boot. However... I bet this BIOS code is very limited.

Anyway... why would you want to do that when you have Parallels? ;-)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you have Parallels??? Why would you want to do that, full stop? :eek: ;) :D

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Curious... why would you want to boot/install DOS anyway?

7. Dr. Sassafras macrumors newbie

Parallels runs SOOOO slow. I have a new imac and running windows is like watching pickles slide down a glass window. I will give DOS a try, but there is a lot of overhead, (OS X, The Emulator, The reduced speed of emulation, the other operating system, the emulated program you are running)

In a booted form, all you have is the OS and the CHIPSET emulation. Not soft emulation. Plus the program you are running. There seems to be much less room for errors as well. (I have some experience in this, but the real mark would be someone who had a lot of experience in this)

Brendan

8. pastrychef macrumors 68040

pastrychef

Yes. I've done it from a CD to flash the firmware on video cards.

9. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

get more RAM : \

10. Dr. Sassafras macrumors newbie

1gig of ram with a separate ram for the vid card is not enough? There is no other program that really slows down my computer.

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

How did you do it? I have a 250GB Samsung drive that needs a firmware update and comes with a bootable ISO (boots freeDOS).

It will boot on my windows machine, but the windows box doesn't have Sata internally.

I wasn't able to get it to boot on the mini.

12. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Do you have 1GB RAM on your machine or have you allocated 1GB of RAM to your parallels virtual machine. If you have 1GB total in you mac then you will probably need more RAM.

13. pastrychef macrumors 68040

pastrychef

All I do to boot from a bootable DOS CD is: insert the CD and restart holding the C key. Never had to do anything else special...

14. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Have you tried VMWare Fusion? I use Windows XP in Fusion, although admittedly only for IE compatibility but it works fine with the iMac 1GB 2.0

15. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

How fast Windows runs under Parallels or VMware depends on how much memory you allocated to the virtual machine. You say you have 1gig. Is that a 1gig Mac? or a Multi-gig Mac with 1 gig allocated to the VM?

I have a MacPro with 1gig allocated to Parallels, and a MBP with 932MB allocated to Parallels, and both of them scream under Windows.

So I believe you problem is configuration. and more RAM is probably your answer.

16. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

You have some problem other than Parallels. As the other said, is that 1 GB RAM total, or 1 GB allocated to your Parallels VM? Actually...either way, it should be enough. I don't want to blame it on Parallels, since I know most people don't have trouble with it, but there's something else going on here if it's running that slow for you. I have a 2 GB MacBook with VMWare Fusion. I gave my Windows XP virtual machine only 512MB RAM, and it still flies. Faster than my last PC laptop, even.

17. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I disagree with 1 gig of ram being enough to run parallels well.

I have a friend who upgraded his MBP to 2 gigs of RAM recently. He noticed a significant boost to parallels performance.

If you take a look at this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342278 , you'll see that most people recommend at least 1 gig for the typical user.

But that's BEFORE you split that in half with parallels (not that you have to use half, but you know what I mean).

If your mac flies with 1 gig of ram with typical use, then it will probably fly noticeably faster with more of it.

If you really want an accurate assessment though, there are two things you should look at.
    Note: you can do both of these in Activity Monitor, but I recommend you download the iStat Pro widget as it makes it very easy to periodically check your systems stats.

1) Take a look at how much available RAM you have. Not just how much FREE ram you have though. You want to look at inactive+free. Inactive RAM is not really being used by anything right now, but still contains the information it was being used for.
    For example, if you open up an application and close it, whatever RAM that application used will be labeled now as inactive. If you then reopen that application, it should open more quickly because instead of having to load the info back into RAM from scratch, it can just use what was left in the inactive RAM. If the system is running low on RAM, then it can easily clear the inactive RAM and use it for whatever task it deems necessary.

2) Take a look at your page ins/outs. I don't know what number you want there though, but generally a lower number is better. The amount of paging though will also depend on how long the machine has been running since the last restart.

If your available ram is very low of if you have lots of paging, then you'll probably benefit from more RAM.
    If you're playing any games that are require more performance than a typical game of tetris, then you should probably get more RAM regardless.

18. kant macrumors 6502

Dos with wordperfect 5 was the best M$ software combo ever? Everything they've done since has been downhill.

*ducks*

19. MrElvey macrumors newbie

MrElvey

SpinRite!

I wonder if any of this can be used to make SpinRite usable on a Mac laptop (e.g. MacBook MacBook Pro). It already boots and launches - see [​IMG].

Removing a laptop HD is usually very time consuming. If the right device drivers could be found and put on the SpinRite CD, it would work?

I just had another idea. SpinRite could be modified to run unprompted.

FYI, I have vmware.

(Please, no pro or anti-GRC zealotry!)

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

WordPerfect was not produced by Microsoft.

21. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Considering the post you're replying to is two years old and the poster has been inactive for about a year,
    I fear your correction has fallen on deaf ears.

22. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Better late then never, right? lol