Boot external HD with windows?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by drumpat01, Aug 14, 2005.

1. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Ok this may be a dump question but give me a break, im new at this mac vs. windows thing.

Is it possible to use an external HD attached to an iBook that has windows XP on it and use it as a book disk and run XP off of it? The reason I ask is because my brother is going to take my PC away from me when I get my iBook since he bought most of it. But the HD is mine and I really want to keep playing City of Heroes after he takes it from me. So I ask again, can I hook up an external HD with winXP on it and run it through my iBook?? Does this even make sence??

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Despite the bad spelling, yes the question makes sense, and it's an easy one.

The answer?

Nope.

Windows only runs on x86 processors, which your iBook won't have. It has a PowerPC processor. And since CoH is Windows only, you won't be playing it on your Mac. And don't let anyone try to enchant you with the VirtualPC for gaming.. it's not gonna work (VPC doesn't support 3rd graphics).

So unfortunately, if you really need to keep playing CoH, you should be giving your iBook to your brother in trade for the PC.

3. drumpat01 thread starter macrumors 6502

drumpat01