1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Boot from a usb flash drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tuna9720, Jun 29, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Well is that even possible, I've been searching this , and there are many threads out there saying that it won't work with a power pc , only on intel macs. And a few is saying it does boot..

Somehow I do remember I did get that to boot from a usb drive , for some reason it doesn't work now when I restart and hit the option button , it doesn't give that choice..

So anyways, am I just dreaming , and is that not going to work at all?

2. macrumors 65816

adcx64

Your just dreaming. PowerPC macs can only boot externally from FireWire.

3. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

yes osx can't boot from from usb thumb drive with ppc....i did however manager to install os 9 on thumb drive and it will boot...go figure....

4. macrumors regular

This is why I thought about getting an old Firewire iPod. Great for backup / recovery purposes

5. macrumors 6502a

from my personal experience, some macs will and some won't, also you need to use OS 8 / 9 or OSX 10.4 / 10.5

6. macrumors 68000

Heh.. I thought about that too, but then went the whole hog and just bought a couple more PowerMac Desktops I can use as boot drives via FW Target Mode.... Admittedly not the smallest option, but the line of Towers does look quite good.

7. macrumors newbie

Just G5 and last generation G4 models with USB 2.0 can.

8. macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Yeah, but you have to dork around in OpenFirmware to get it to work right and it doesn't always work. See here for an example.

Oddly enough, I seem to recall that the Yikes! G4s can boot from USB but not Firewire.

9. macrumors 6502a

With some, not with others, some will boot usb just by holding option during boot