Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
OK, let's pretend my internal hard drive failed. I have a bootable partition on my FireWire drive, but the default start-up disk is the internal one. I need access to my backup files or the world will end prematurely. Upon failure, will the Mac:

a) automatically look for another disk to boot from? (and therefore i don't need to worry)
b) need to be told to boot from the FireWire drive? (and therefore I really should try to find out before it happens)

I note that this has been discussed to some degree but not to a satisfactory conclusion. Apparently you can press Cmd-opt-shift-delete during boot up to force the internal drive to be overidden. But when I try that, the computer just boots from the internal but in safe mode. I held down the keys as soon as I heard the chime and let go once the Apple appeared. What am I doing wrong?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
It should work, holding down the Command, Option, Shift and Delete keys while you restart will cause the Mac to ignore the internal hard drive at startup and boot from another drive.

A whole list of other relevant keyboard shortcuts here :)

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Yep, that's what I thought. But it doesn't work. Can I just make sure: by "delete" we mean the key that says "delete" on it, not backspace? May sound silly but I know the keyboards that came with G3 iMacs don't have a "delete" key.

So it takes longer to boot up, but I still get safe boot from the internaldrive. i know the external drive is bootable if I select it from the startup options, but obviously I won't be able to do this in the case of a HD failure. So does anyone know if it will boot from FireWire if necessary anyway? I don't really want to remove my internal HD to find out (it's a Mac Mini).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.