Boot from external USB 2.0 on PPC Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Payton, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Payton macrumors regular

Payton

I just got a new hard drive for my iMac, and stuck my old drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure so that I could copy my data off of the old drive onto the new easily.

I need to boot into my old drive's installation of the OS, and I was kind of under the impression that I would be able to boot using this old drive in the USB thing, but it seems that I should have gone with a Firewire drive in order for this to be possible on my PPC Mac...

I've been doing some searching and it seems there's been a few people who have booted (using their PPC Mac) with a USB 2.0 drive... they were all using SuperDuper to backup their data onto an external, and in my case, the drive isn't a backup, but just the actual drive stuck into an enclosure.

There's gotta be some tool I can use to configure the drive or folder on the drive so that I can use it to boot into the old system.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

2. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Why exactly do you need to boot off of the older drive? Did the old drive not show up on the desktop when it was in the enclosure?

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I didn't think you could boot off a USB 2.0 drive (even SuperDuper recommends a F/W drive)?

4. Payton thread starter macrumors regular

Payton

5. ddekker macrumors regular

from what I have read the PPC macs can't boot usb.... they can boot firewire, the newer intel based macs I guess can boot usb or firewire..

good luck..

DD