Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Yes i finially got the disk mac os x onto my ipod...now im having trouble booting and installing. I click the installer icon and it says restart...i click restart and then it shows a ? and my ipod says its ok to disscounect and thats it...using the option key just shows a revolving hourglass and nothing else..what can i do?

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Yes i finially got the disk mac os x onto my ipod...now im having trouble booting and installing. I click the installer icon and it says restart...i click restart and then it shows a ? and my ipod says its ok to disscounect and thats it...using the option key just shows a revolving hourglass and nothing else..what can i do?

Is it a firewire iPod? I'm pretty sure you can only boot from a firewire interface.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
There was just a thread here on MR... You can use a USB or Firewire Device to boot the new Intel Macs. I'm not sure if an iPod would work though. It should...

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
its a usb...so that wont work at all? i have no firewall hardrives or ipods

Nope, sorry! Atleast as far as I know, OS X can only boot from a firewire interface. So if you have the 3rd gen or below iPod, it'll work. Otherwise, no dice :(
There might be a way around this, so feel free to get a second opinion!

EDIT: Looks like you got a second opinion (eating words :))

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
it won't kill it, but it's not good for it. and it won't be able to run OS X too fast.

bored911

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
NYC
i've booted off my ipod several times. i create a bootable version with superduper! then just use an efi to select my ipod at startup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.