boot problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by yippy, Mar 21, 2004.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have a Power Mac 6500/225 that doesn't boot up properly. Whenever i restart it or shut down then start up i get the gray screen but the boot process just stops. The mouse pointer is there and moves so it isn't frozen but i never get the smily mac icon, or any icon for that matter, just a plain gray screen and mouse pointer. However, if I unplug it, wait a bit then plug it back in and turn it on it will usualy boot up just fine i don't notice any problems while it is running.

Any thoughts as to what the problem is?

BTW , I have zapped the p-ram, replaced the mother board battery and run nortan disk doctor and disk utility. Nothing helps.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You might have to rebless the System Folder. I can't remember how to do this, but search Apple's site for it, I'm sure there will be information there somewhere.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Will it boot from CD? Im guessing so, since you ran Norton. Try re-installing your OS.

4. nargot macrumors regular

I think its something like cmd-shift-2? while restarting
    cmd-shift3 boots cd in os 8 and 7 i think

its been a long while and i forget all those magic machine starting codes

Have you tried repair desktop and another system folder to startup. It is possible that the system file is screwed

5. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

No, it will not start up from a CD. I know that is odd, I ran norton because my computer will boot but ONLY through the processes I described above (unlpluging it each time after restart). I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the system folder, it is already a new install and i have booted from it with no problems. The computer is hanging before it even looks for a boot volume or any other problems. Not only does the smiley icon not appear but neither does a question mark.

Very strange behavior. Any other ideas?

6. nargot macrumors regular

Sounds grim, we might need a tech head to help out here. I don't know anything about circuits or general hardware, but it is possible that something internal could be loose, dry solder, burnt out... do you have any expertise in that area?

7. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

No, but I will give it a good look through next time I get a chance.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

there should be a i think it is called a PMU button on the mother board press it once not more, when the computer is turned off and unpluged, then wait ten or more seconds and plug it back in. When turning it on after that hold down command option p and r hold these keys until you hear the start up chime twice, let go and your mac should boot up you will need to reset a few settings sound volume etc.I think your mac should have one of these buttons. try this!