Boot & Run W7 on USB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bowcaps, Jan 1, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I would like to boot my MBA from a USB stick with windows on it, I don't want to create a partition for windows, just boot and run of the USB.

The reason for this is that I have one program that will not run on a Mac OS. I only use this program once every 3 or 4 months.

Is this possible? And if so can you give me a few pointers in the right direction.

2. macrumors 6502a

007bond

It is possible to do this (I found this tutorial: http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/win7onusb), but it will be extremely slow, even with a USB3 drive.

Since you don't use this software too often, I suggest you install VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org) and install Windows in a VM.

If you want to save space on your SSD, you could put the Virtual Hard Disk on a USB drive. Just make sure it's a fast one.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks,

I'll give it a go. :)

4. macrumors 6502a

007bond

Not a problem!

Out of curiosity, which method are you going with?

5. thread starter macrumors member

I'll try the latter method first with VirtualBox.

One question [it may be obvious] but I assume the USB port not being used for W7 can be used to connect a dongle whilst in this OS environment?

Thanks for the advice.:)

6. thread starter macrumors member

Just an update, I found a bit of software from codeweavers and installed and hey presto my Windows VCDS software runs on my mac without installing windows!

Happy Days. :D

7. macrumors 6502a

007bond

Crossover totally slipped my mind! Yeah, for a piece of software that you don't use all the time, that may be a better solution. Glad it worked out!