Boot Times in Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ///mdriver, Dec 6, 2003.

1. ///mdriver macrumors member

I was using a friend's 17" 1.33 PowerBook, and it takes forever to boot up.

Does panther fix this?

2. jaesk8er macrumors member

jaesk8er

I have a PB Ti 667 and the boot up times were ALOT faster in panther.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

The boot times in Panther are incredibly impressive. On my Power Mac G4, the boot screen is only visible for maybe 3 seconds before I get the login screen. Very impressive compared to Jaguar. My PB is almost as fast.

4. notkevin macrumors member

Re: Boot Times in Panther

If it takes forever to boot it is probably because there is either some 3rd party application running at boot time or something configured wrong.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

jaguar runs fsck at bootup. if your computer was improperly shut down, it could take forever - up to 3 min. in my experience on my PB 12" rev. A.

panther replaces the need for fsck by journaling. so it's been about 30 sec. on the same machine...

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Boot times on my PowerBook G4 1.25 GHz running 10.3.1 are actually faster than they were on my PowerBook G3 400 MHz running OS 9.2.2, and that is really saying something. I'd have to say it's within 18-20 seconds total from startup to Finder.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Possibly he had a$$ load of items in the startup menu?

8. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

my dual 1.25 g4 boots up in like 15 seconds, the boot screen only lasts for 3-5 seconds like mopar

it took about 15 seconds just for the boot screen when i had jag

9. ///mdriver thread starter macrumors member

Re: Re: Boot Times in Panther

It was like this since day one, its not that slow, but come on, it is a brand new comp. :confused:

Oh well, went to the apple store today, and the panther booted up a little faster, but still not what I expect.

My friend's pcs starts up much quicker.

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't see how, even on a laptop with a slower HD Panther boots up a lot faster than the Compaq my sister has, the Hp my roommate has, the Dell my suitemate has, and the Dell my parents have, all of which run XP. 15-20 seconds it a pretty quick and respectable boot time and if Apple keeps shortening it like they seem to be doing, there should be no reason for anyone to complain about Macs taking so long to boot up.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My 800 MHz iBook boots Panther much faster than it did Jaguar. My 1.25 GHz G4 has only ever had Panther on it, and boots up faster still (with less than half the memory!)

12. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

Who cares how long Panther takes to boot!
    I haven't restarted my PB 1.25 for 14 days.

Try it. It is a much better way to work.

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The only times I have ever restarted my PowerBook since September were for 10.2.8 update, upgrading to Panther, 10.3.1 update, a couple of security updates, and when the school network was messing up and I had to shut down to reset the router and everything. It's pretty nice, especially if you keep up with those cron scripts to keep everything running at top shape.

14. Noiseboy macrumors regular

My 1.33 GHz 17" PB boots up very quickly in Panther and thats with a gig of RAM. Check the start up items, it's the only thing I can think of that might seriously slow it down.

15. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Definately!

My 1Ghz iMac use to take almost 2 minutes to boot into Jaguar. once I purchased and installed Panther, it's under a minute every time. But not just the time, I can tell it's going faster. Before, when it got to the screen with the blue progressive bar, it would take some time. But now, that screen just pops up and disappears.

16. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

One More Thing...

That under a minute boot time is including the log-on to a user. Just booting to log-on screen is like 45 seconds.

P.S. RAM doesn't really affect boot time.

17. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: Boot Times in Panther

If you're on a network, entering the DNS servers might greatly improve boot time. When I was using jaguar, it was once taking a couple minutes to boot, and most of that time was on the loading screen with "Network" something "initializing". I did a search of the Apple help files on my computer, and the recommendation was to enter your DSN servers manually. It fixed my problem. But I don't think you need to do that with Panther, they must have changed the need for that fix.

18. Makosuke macrumors 603

As TigerPRO and jxyama said, the only time I ever have long startups are if the network isn't working properly (particularly if the DHCP server isn't responding, but any case where it can't contact the network seems to do it), in which case it will pause at the Network section of the progress bar, or if the computer was shutdown improperly (power outage/crash), so it runs fsck, in which case it will hang at the initial grey screen.

Panther does seem to be noticably faster, and both are better than 10.1, which would hang for a LONG time at the blank blue screen just before the login window appears if no network is available.

I've never thought of boot times as an issue anyway, though, since they don't happen that often, but on my Gt5 Panther launches so quickly it's scary--I can barely even see the progress bar screen its gone so quickly.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I only start my computer up once or twice a month at most, so boot up times just aren't that important to me. I just put my PB to sleep, and wake it up when I need it. Takes 2 seconds at most.:D