boot-up time for panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by tagy, Oct 29, 2003.

1. tagy macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2003
    boot-up time for panther is so much faster than jaguar, my 1.25GHz iMac takes just 35s from pressing the button too fully start-up.

Everyone else notice this too?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Bay of Fundy
    yeah, this has been mentioned a lot. on my 17-inch powerbook, when I restarted yesterday after installing that security update, I clicked 'restart' turned around to pet my cat, and when I turned back I was already into my desktop (auto login enable). it could not have been more than 30-40 seconds which is wonderful for a laptop startup!! I love it:cool:
  3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    my emac 700 stars up in 40 seconds. Jag took 78. What a huge difference. I love panther.
  4. KLFloyd macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2002
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't know exact times, but I can tell you it's at least cut my startup time in half on my older 500mhz G4 PowerBook.

More impressive to me than startup time, is shutdown time. It takes me less than 5 seconds for my computer to shut down. Before, it was more like 45 seconds. Annyoing when you're in a hurry and trying to shut down then run out the door.
  5. iPC macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2003
    East Windsor, CT
    my reboot time from click of the reboot button to the login screen went from ~2:37 to ~0:55 ! :-D

also, Panther seems much less RAM hungry. iTunes and Safari (with some menu bar apps) and I am using about 165MB. about 1/2 of 10.2.8 when nothing was being used.

all in all seems to be rather slick.

FUS is nice too. pauses your song if iTunes is playing music. that is a nice touch.
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    28 secs(!) on my Dual 1GHz Quicksilver w/ 1GB RAM. That's a cold boot, from the moment I touch the power button till it hits the login screen...amazing!
  7. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i hadn't really noticed it until this thread made me think about it... but yeah, it's seemed alot quicker.

i'll have to remember to time it sometime.