Bootable DVDs and multisession dvds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mernak, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Mernak macrumors 6502

2 Questions, First in order to create a bootable dvd of OSX you just need to put the system folder on it, correct? Second, creating a multisession dvd should not prevent it from booting correctly, am I right? Just want to make sure I don't waste any dvd-r's making dvds that are completely useless.

P.S. sorry if this has been posted before, but I tried searching and there was nothing in the first couple of pages.

2. rmarasa macrumors member

NO, just dragging over the OS X system files will not make a bootable disc. It's much more complicated than that, as there are several hidden files you can't easily move over. It's near bloody impossible to do, although I imagine if you make a disc image of a bare-bones system, you could proably restore that to a DVD.

Pretty much impossible I think, although I have seen a program to do it at www.versiontracker.com. Could not get it to work.

Multi-session should not make any difference.

3. Mernak thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know, I would think a dmg of a bootable system sould work I'll probebly try that soon, or look on version tracker.

Edit Never Mind, just been googling for a while and it seems that it is just about impossible without using bootCD, which only works for 10.3, Oh well.