Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Well I have been trying for nearly a week to get a XP CD to be bootable. I have been mainly trying to do this on my PC, but every Burning App will not make the Disc bootable on the PC or Mac Mini using BootCamp?
Disk Utility is making a Disk Image(DMG) of the disk now, but before I go any farther (and waste a few more CD-R's) will this work and Create a bootable CD?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Hmm, hold on, what exactly are the steps you're carrying out? What format is your XP install at the moment? Do you have an install disk that you're trying to copy? Or do you have something on your hard drive?

The disk image to be saved has to be an iso, not a dmg. If you're copying an existing install disk (I hope you have two licenses if you are) you need to copy it as a master record as a cdr file, then rename the cdr file extension to iso. The iso can be directly burned in disk utility.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Ok, I will hope to make this more clear.
I slipstreamed a Windows XP Home Edition disc to SP 2.
Then when I try to burn the slipstreamed sp2 Files it gives me a XP CD that is nonbootable.

So I was trying to find a way to burn a bootable XP CD on my Mac to get bootcamp running.
That version of XP is not currently being used by any other machine so it should be perfectly legal to install on my Mac, right?

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
I have had some success with getting Windows to boot Ok. Unfortunately my Kensington Wireless Keyboard and Mouse is not detected and I cannot select the option to install. I have no USB keyboards around either! What a POS Windows is! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Ok, I will hope to make this more clear.
I slipstreamed a Windows XP Home Edition disc to SP 2.
Then when I try to burn the slipstreamed sp2 Files it gives me a XP CD that is nonbootable.

OK, that's clearer. So you have an iso? How did you slipstream it? Did you use something like nliteos to take the pain out of it?

If you're missing some files it won't boot at all, no matter what you use.

I've used a slipstreamed SP2 XP install disk (that I created with nliteos on a Parallels install of the pre-SP2 disk, copied over to my Mac disk and burned with Disk Utility) with Boot Camp, but Boot Camp itself didn't recognize the disk. But rebooting and holding down the option key let me boot with the SP2 disk.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
OK, that's clearer. So you have an iso? How did you slipstream it? Did you use something like nliteos to take the pain out of it?

If you're missing some files it won't boot at all, no matter what you use.

I've used a slipstreamed SP2 XP install disk (that I created with nliteos on a Parallels install of the pre-SP2 disk, copied over to my Mac disk and burned with Disk Utility) with Boot Camp, but Boot Camp itself didn't recognize the disk. But rebooting and holding down the option key let me boot with the SP2 disk.

Thanks! Yep, that is sorta what I did. Every time I would burn the Slipstreamed copy of XP it would either give me a CDBOOT:ERROR 4 or a message that said it is missing NTLDR. So I used the Apple Remote and pressed menu to bring up the OS selection screen. It gave me a choice of my HD and the Windows CD (The original one before it was slipstreamed.) So in finality you do not need a SP 2 CD for it to boot. However like I posted earlier the Windows Installer won't see my wireless keyboard and mouse, but I don't have a wired USB keyboard and mouse.

odieiscool

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Well, this seems like a closed topic, but for those of us who don't even know what "slipstreaming" is, here's how I made my boot disk:

1) Insert the disk you want to copy, and open Disk Utility (Applications/utilities)
2) Click on the disk on the left-hand panel
3) Click "File", "New", "Disk Image from (name of CD)", which should be the last option
4) Under "compression", make sure to choose "DVD/CD master"
5)Once the image is created, find it on your desktop, and change its extension from ".cdr" to ".iso" (if it was not a ".cdr" to begin with, you probably didn't choose "DVD/CD Master")
6) In disk utility, click on the image in the left-hand panel, and click "burn" on the top

That is all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.