Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

@ghostlyorb... Beware that running windows via bootcamp doesn't support graphics switching (like in Mac side) between intel and AMD graphics. Sucks big time. Less battery life and more heat. Apple should bring out updated drivers at least to allow manual switching (can't even choose intel graphics!)

So this update to bootcamp probably doesn't mean much unless it improves the graphics. Running windows on Mac is definitely not as good as running windows on a windows pc.

SakBee

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

My control button is useless in bootcamp. I hope they update this soon. It's not a deal breaker, but it's annoying at times when I'm not using my portable mouse.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA

@ghostlyorb... Beware that running windows via bootcamp doesn't support graphics switching (like in Mac side) between intel and AMD graphics. Sucks big time. Less battery life and more heat. Apple should bring out updated drivers at least to allow manual switching (can't even choose intel graphics!)

So this update to bootcamp probably doesn't mean much unless it improves the graphics. Running windows on Mac is definitely not as good as running windows on a windows pc.

Yeah thanks. I'll mostly be using VMWare for most of everything for college. I have a few programs for work that are Windows only, but I'll just use VMware for that too. No sense installing a partition for only using a few times. Plus.. with the 2.3GHz quad i7.. I have the power to do everything in mac!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Yeah thanks. I'll mostly be using VMWare for most of everything for college. I have a few programs for work that are Windows only, but I'll just use VMware for that too. No sense installing a partition for only using a few times. Plus.. with the 2.3GHz quad i7.. I have the power to do everything in mac!

Sorry, a little off topic, but I've considered getting VMWare or Parallels, but have one question: can I create a BootCamp partition and then use it as a source disk in VMWare/Parallels? Just so that I could do the best of both worlds as I need it?

ZBB

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Sorry, a little off topic, but I've considered getting VMWare or Parallels, but have one question: can I create a BootCamp partition and then use it as a source disk in VMWare/Parallels? Just so that I could do the best of both worlds as I need it?

Yes.

But there are a couple downsides to it. For example, you have to be careful if you sleep the Win partition when using in VMWare/Parallels. You should shut down Windows in VMWare and then reboot the next time you go in (either VMWare or BootCamp)

When I first got VMWare I did a joint VMWare/BootCamp partition. I eventually just moved to VMWare only because it was simpler and I really didn't need BootCamp -only items anymore...

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Unless you need to run something powerful then BootCamp is more hassle than it's worth. Simply because I hate having to restart.

The lack of fluid read/write between each file system is also annoying.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC

My control button is useless in bootcamp. I hope they update this soon. It's not a deal breaker, but it's annoying at times when I'm not using my portable mouse.

You mean for "right" clicking? You do know you can do that with a two-finger click, don't you?

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
I also started with a Boot Camp partition that I would usually run in VMWare Fusion and then eventually just dropped the Boot Camp partition in favor of a normal VM.

Another disadvantage of that setup is that, for whatever reason, disk performance is s-l-o-w in Fusion when booting from a Boot Camp partition. I never tried it with an SSD, but with a spinny disk I waited forever for disk I/O, including bootups of Windows. With a normal VM it was several times faster.

carltabet

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Beirut
What was the issue? I've seen it a few times just lock up completely when trying to shutdown/restart in Windows.

It's exactly that issue, the same day I got the Mac, I installed Windows 7 64 bit and it wouldn't shutdown. I'd get the Shutting Down message and it just stayed there. The Windows installation was completely fresh, nothing extra installed yet. But the restart procedure worked so I think Boot Camp had an issue shutting down a device on those Early 2011 MacBooks.

However, it seems this update breaks the ability to set the brightness, I'll be checking this soon.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/08/apple_boot_camp_update_fixes_shutdown_issues_causes_brightness_problems.html

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
i have installed windows 7 ultimate SP1 x64 without any issues. also updated to boot camp v3.2 and still have yet to see/experience any of the shutdown or brightness issues. :) must be lucky...

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Even with the update my trackpad randomly stopped working and the damn thing gets very hot all over. Everything is fine in OSX of course. :rolleyes:

TNAJanssen

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
No Bluetooth

I just got my macbook pro 15.4(2011 i7 2.2ghz 8gb ram 500gb 7200rpm hd6750) a couple of days ago and today i found out that my bluetooth driver isn't installed in windows 7 x64(smbus and an pci neither but got it working with intel update utility:D) doest anybody knows a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.