Bootcamp, Airport and Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nauthez, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Nauthez macrumors newbie

Nauthez

I recently decided to install Windows on my MacBook (for World of Warcraft (I get better FPS)) and it works great, the only problem is that when I attempt to connect wirelessly, it won't accept the connection. I tried removing the encryption, but it still won't connect to the network. Any help would be grateful.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Depends on what your router is, but I had a heck of a time getting a Mini booted in Windows to recognize my Airport network when it was set to WPA2 encryption. If it works under a different encryption level (try none at all to test) that might be it.

It's also worth noting that the MacOS gives you a bit of "help" with wireless keys--in cases where the password is supposed to be a certain length, it will "pad" a shorter password with spaces (I think), but you need to do this manually in Windows. A Google search will turn up some tips if you think this might be the case.

3. Nauthez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nauthez

I have a d-link (newegg link) with WPA2 Encryption. I removed the encryption, but my laptop still won't connect. I don't think it's a router problem...

4. Nauthez thread starter macrumors newbie

Nauthez

I found out the problem. Windows does not accept a WPA2 key larger than 8 for some strange reason.

5. Erasmus® macrumors member

question

Hi guys, sorry to disturb but my english does not allow me to completely understand yor discussion: does the airport express router work with windows based laptops (or does is just work with our macs running windows on bootcamp)? thanks!

6. MacAnkka macrumors regular

Yes, Airport Express router should work with your usual Windows laptops.

Apple uses the 802.11b/g/n standards, just like all the other wireless routers from Linksys, Belkin, etc.

7. Erasmus® macrumors member

thx

thanks! from what I heared it has a shorter range then common routers (netgear). Would you confirm it?