Bootcamp and Aspyr

Discussion in 'Games' started by rosalindavenue, Apr 5, 2006.

1. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

So what is the business model for Aspyr now? Their translation of windows games to mac takes time and money; which is reflected in their release dates and pricing (and I'm not complaining, I understand what they do). Now you can download bootcamp and buy a copy of XP home for $100 and play most of the newest windows games (depending on your video card). Is there anything Aspyr can do to stay alive?

EDIT-- Looks like a non-upgrade version of XP home is $194 on Amazon-- twice as much as I thought but still cheaper than a routine video card update on a PC.

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Honestly I'm hoping this may push them to focus efforts on Original content instead of Ports...

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

NO! DON'T BUY XP HOME!

Sorry, had to throw that out. Windows XP Home Edition does NOT support multiple processors if I remember correctly. So if you install XP Home on a dual core Intel iMac...goodbye half your performance ;)

Also, use FAT32, not NTFS, because Mac OS X can't write to NTFS.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I believe also that XP home cannot join an NT domain (only workgroups), so it will be useless at most work locations. That is another way that MS "crippled" XP Home. A totally useless product IMHO.

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I used Home a very long time, Pro never offered me anything I needed.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Did your machine have one or two processors? Because with the exception of the lowest end Mac Mini, every Intel Mac is dual core; and Windows XP Home will only use one of those processors. Using XP Home will cut your performance nearly in half...

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Of course not, there isn't enough software that supports it to justify the price.

Oh, and look at this Home does indeed support dual core...

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

What it's gonna get them doing is trying to release their ports a hell of a lot earlier. I'd prefer to have the X port, however, worst case scenario is that the Mac game business disappears :eek:

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Brad Oliver of Aspyr: "My total hunch is that Aspyr will still release Mac ports in the short term. If sales tank, then we've still got a sound business in console and PC games (some of our low-profile PC games sell as well as our high-profile Mac games), and will gradually exit the Mac market. But again that's my total guess - I have no idea what will really happen."

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Really? Weird, not according to MS...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    It says Home no, Pro yes.

11. slb macrumors 6502

I was excited on the news of Boot Camp, but then realization hit me that this might really affect native Mac ports of games. I was looking forward to a future Mac version of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I think it would still be the best way to play the game rather than dual boot into the dark world of Windows. Here's hoping Aspyr titles continue to sell very well. I'll certainly be picking up their Mac version of Civilization IV when it comes out. I want Civ IV sitting on my Dock...

Of course, if this jacks up Mac sales dramatically, Mac ports might actually rise in demand, so who knows. I predict Aspyr will still be in the Mac market 12 months from now.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

In the short term dual-booting will not effect the porting business. In the long term I can't even guess, but to be sure the gaming scene is set to change one way or another.

BTW, lots of people buy XP in an OEM configuration, which is cheaper. Newegg will sell you XP as an OEM along with a powercable splitter, which counts as hardware and thus makes the purchase 100% legal.

I'm planning on buying a MacBook sometime in the next 6 months and I will need to dual boot for my thesis work, so this comes at a very good time for me.

I guess this answers the question about Counter Strike ever coming to the Mac.:rolleyes:

Here's a link with some reactions to Boot Camp from Mac game developers.

13. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

It supports Dual Cores, but not Dual Processors (i.e. both cores must be on the same die).

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You do realise that to almost all (probably every single one) OS sees multiple cores and multiple processors (and multiple virtual cores) as the same thing? :rolleyes:

15. joeconvert macrumors 6502

Ok, I actually have Windows XP Home running on my iMac.

It does indeed see and utilize both cores.

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Either SP2 added support for SMP (the increasing number of dual-core setups makes this likely), the Bootcamp drivers added it, or the M$ site is incorrect (or simply doesn't mention it - I didn't check the M$ site)