Bootcamp and Parallels desktops

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ulun47, Jul 15, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Can I make my vm on my already exsisting bootcamp partition?
    and if yes, how can I do it?

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 68000

So....

In my case I had boot camp with Windows 7 already installed and just got Parallels the other day. During the installation or the first run I think I choose to create a VM from my existing Boot Camp partition. I have since noticed that I can't restart into Windows 7 via Boot Camp.

If I wanted to do this, I was supposed to choose the second option listed on that link labelled, "Importing Data from Boot Camp to a New Virtual Machine", correct?

5. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nope. The first one is the one that should have preserved your ability to boot natively.

Exactly how is it not booting. Do you still see it in the boot loader when you hold Alt/Option on boot? What happens after you select it?

B

6. macrumors 68000

I've only had my Mac about two weeks and boot camp for about a week. The alt/option at boot has never seemed to work for me, maybe I don't know when to do it or how long to press it. I've been using "Startup Disk" and more recently "Boot Champ". Right now, when I try to startup in Windows a blank black screen comes up and nothing ever happens, I end up having to power down and back up.

I just installed Parallels the other day and when I ran it for the first time I had three options:

New Windows Installation
    Migrate Windows from PC
    Use your Virtual Machines

Since I already had Windows 7 installed via Boot Camp, I assumed I should use "Use your Virtual Machines". Was that the right choice, or should it have been another one?

7. macrumors 68000

Okay, upon further inspection I think I know what I should have done. I think I should have selected "New Windows Installation" and on the next page selected my Boot Camp partition from the drop down.

Now I guess my question is how do I undo what I did before and start over? Is there a way to remove the virtual machine I created in Parallels and start fresh?