Bootcamp Cannot Move Files

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dmurray14, Dec 6, 2006.

1. dmurray14 macrumors member

OK, I'm pissed.

I had Vista beta on here for a while. Outgrew the 15gb too fast. So I went back to one partition with the intention to repartiton to 25gb or so. I got an error that it could not move my files, so I followed the instructions, backed up my drive, wiped it clean then restored the image. Booted into OSX and tried to do the partition at 30gb (keep in mind I have 53gb free). NOPE. Same error. How is this even possible? How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Did you commit a clean install of OSX? i.e. completely erasing the HD and any other partitions? I had the same problem, and as such was solved by an absolute reformat. In my research, I discovered that some people solved this problem by deleting Parallels 'VM' files from their Mac partition.

3. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

What I did was make an image of my mac (only) partition. I booted from the OSX dvd, and used disk utility to erase the drive and repartition it, then I restored the image to the drive (sidenote: I thought this would defragment the data, or in otherwords put it all at the front of the drive, but iDefrag seems to report it doesn't - odd). I did not reinstall OSX. Wouldn't I lose all my data that way? At least with the image restore my OS install and all my data is still there. I was under the impression that with a new OSX install I'd basically be starting from scratch.

I DID have parallels installed, and I removed the program and a fairly large file (which I believe was the image) although I guess it's possible some of the files are still around - where should I look for them?

Thanks,
    Dan

4. reflex macrumors 6502a

Yes you would. So you should backup anything you wish to keep before doing that.

5. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

There has to be a way to do this without loosing my data.

Here's what I don't understand...the image file is compacted, so why, when I extract it to the drive, does it put it back fragmented? That doesn't seem to make sense.

6. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

FWIW, I bought Coriolis iDefrag and defragged the drive, and I'm now posting from Vista.

Dan

7. MacWish macrumors newbie