Bootcamp in a Window

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by troutspinner, Aug 26, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2009
    I searched!

I am running Windows 7 via Bootcamp. I need to run it this way due to heavy graphics/cad usage but there are times in the day I need to do a 20 second task in Windows that is not graphic demanding and I am finding myself constantly rebooting from OSX to Bootcamp then back again.

What I would like to be able to do is to run my current bootcamp installation in a window for those non-graphic demanding times almost like a remote desktop connection, of course, maintain the ability I currently have with booting straight into bootcamp also.

I have tried Parallels in the past but if I remember it wants to integrate. I do not want any integration or co-mingling (i'm anal). I want it to work almost like a remote desktop. Is there a solution like this?

Thanks for any and all help.

2. macrumors 6502

May 12, 2007
    I'm not sure what you mean by "integration" or "comingling." Either Parallels or VMWare Fusion will do what you need--they allow you to run your BC installation in a virtual machine under OS X. The latest versions are surprisingly capable; you can run Win7 with full Aero effects, for example. Highly recommended, as constantly rebooting as you are doing is a major pain.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2009
    Bootcamp, as the name implies, is designed to help you boot the whole computer into Windows. OS X doesn't get invoked at all. Effectively you have a Windows PC.

As VideoFreek said, you need something like Parellels or Fusion in order to run a Windows application whilst still in OS X.