Bootcamp Information........!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HBen, Dec 14, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Ive never used bootcamp and would be great if any could answer a couple questions for me!

1.Will gaming be affected if i run 32bit not 64?
    2.does bootcamp slow down the over mac performance?
    3.whats the difference between parralles and bootcamp?
    4.any general tips for a first time bootcamper?

Cheers, would be apreciate any responces!!!!

2. macrumors 68030

forty2j

1. Yes, probably. 32bit will restrict you to some number a little less than 4GB of RAM, while the most modern games and some pro programs will happily consume more than that.
    2. No, bootcamp is just Windows running directly on the hardware.
    3. Parallels is an emulator - you can run Windows, or Windows programs, inside a window on OS X. Bootcamp is rebooting your computer to run windows directly (but not OS X at the same time). Parallels is more convenient, Bootcamp performs better, particularly with graphics.
    4. Don't forget that you ARE running Windows, and should take the usual Windows security precautions on your Windows partition.

3. macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

1. When possible run 64 bit mode however that is determined by the version of Windows and the app you are running.

2. No!

3. Boot Camp (not bootcamp) is running in native mode, it's just like running on any peecee box. Parrallels or Fusion are virtualization products. They run within OS X and enable the user to run both OS X and MS Windows simulataneously. The drawback is there is a slight degradation in performance for Windows.

4. Follow the Boot Camp Assistant instructions to the letter.

----------

WRONG!!!!Parralllels is NOT an emulator it is virtualization. The two are totally different!!!!! Emulation is slow and inprecise while virtualization is very fast and elegant. Get your facts right!

4. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies!!! I think i understand 'Boot camp' a lot more now.

5. macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Boot Camp, not Boot camp. :)

6. thread starter macrumors member

.........Haha cmon gimme a break!

7. macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

OK, well just one.