BootCamp lesson - learned the hard way!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markcres, May 7, 2006.

1. markcres macrumors 6502

markcres

I just recovered from a nightmare!!:eek:

Was feeling bored (always a bad sign).. so I downloaded BootCamp and decided to implement XP on my new Intel iMac.

Firmware and OS X all updated to latest versions OK
    Windows XP Pro (SP2) OK

Everything went well until the XP setup required me to nominate a partition to format as NTFS. By now it was 1:30am and I admit I had a little sloe gin to keep me warm :cool: ... Unfortunately I followed the instructions blindly (chose partition C: to format) and wondered why it was taking so long:confused: .

Basically, I formatted my entire MAC system partition as NTFS:eek: - why it was labelled as C: I don't know!! :mad:

Spent quite a few hours completely re-installing OS X and all my apps (digging through my emails for activation codes and keys for shareware I had purchased).

The moral of the story here... if you are bored... and if you fancy a drink late at night.. DON'T have a go at installing BootCamp.

I will stick to MAC software and Windows can go to hell !!!

Mark

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

that's what happens when you mess up with window$. you will simply not enjoy your drink, or your nice quiet? evening. here's to your next drink next weekend. cheers! :D

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Drinking + Windows = Crashing.

Actually, Windows + Anything = Crashing.:D

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah windows and alchohal definetely do not mix.

Reminds me of so many countless frustrating nights.

5. Eldentistfuturo macrumors regular

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

So Windows can go to hell because you made a blatant user error? Do you expect Windows to have a built in "Are you sure you want to install here? This partition/drive contains OS X."

7. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

That made me laugh. Lol :D

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

C: just refers to the first partition. After formatting, the other partition would be called C: and the Mac (unreadable) one would be D:, if it was assigned a drive letter. It would probably just be left alone though and the Superdrive be called D:

This is why Apple doesn't support running Windows on a Mac-- not their fault. Also, you could have checked the volume sizes and seen that the XP one would have been the 'correct' size to install onto.

9. markcres thread starter macrumors 6502

markcres

Yes!

10. iEugene macrumors regular

iEugene

That made me laugh.

Intresting story Mark, glad to hear that good ol' Mac OS X is back though. :)