Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celiboy07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hello all,

I tried to search but could not locate a direct answer. If I missed a thread that can point me in the right direction, any link would be helpful.

I'm looking to install Windows 7 on my 2010 Mac Mini. I have the following questions:

1. Should I install Windows 7 using Bootcamp, then install Parallels, or vice versa? What is the best method?
2. I want to be able to boot natively into Windows 7 for heavy applications that will run best off of Windows. If I install Windows 7 via Parallels, do I need to re-install using Bootcamp to boot natively? Is there an option to allow me just to boot directly into Windows when virtualizing?
3. I'd want to be able to use the multi-touch/gestures in Lion when in virtualization mode. Booting directly into Windows will not allow the multi-touch/gestures to work, correct?

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I have just moved to a MBA from 2x Win7 PCs. I installed Win7 in Bootcamp first then installed Parallels 7.
P7 asks if you want to use the Bootcamp installation or make a new Win7 partition.
I use Bootcamp within P7 in Coherence Mode. This is really slick and gets any Win7 programme started with 2 mouse clicks from the dock.
I don't know what you mean by heavy applications, but I'll be adding a TBDisplay soon to provide a GBLAN connection for fast file transfer.
I don't do any gaming so I can't help you there.

The Trackpad gestures work fine in Win7 (at least the ones I use do) - great for scrolling up/down etc in spreadsheets. Be aware that normal up/down scrolling direction is reversed from Win7 to OSX.

Booting into Bootcamp does work but I never use this mode.

celiboy07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Great, thanks for your input. I installed it via Bootcamp first then installed Parallels 7. Works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.