Bootcamp or Parallels!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac'Mo, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

I just got a new MB and I'm new to Mac. I know kind of what BC is but i only just found out about parallels (something i know very little about). So if I want to play a game (i only play WC3) on my MB, but thats the only reason I'd need Windows XP, should I get Bootcamp or Parallel?

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well bootcamp is your only option for gaming. Parallels does not work well for anything graphics intense. So Use bootcamp for gaming. However, later on if you have non graphics intense application you want to use the latest parallels beta can boot the bootcamp copy of windows.

3. islandman macrumors 6502

You should definitely go with Boot Camp for gaming. Parallels is awesome for what it does, but it is NOT good for gaming.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I sure hope Parallels develops into a truly game-able solution. I would much rather do that then have to constantly restart into and out of Windows.

5. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

wait, so like under parallels i can boot like any program thats on the partitioned "XP" Hd? wouldn't htat mean you need Bootcamp to run Parallels?

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well one option under the newest Parallels is to boot the same copy of XP as bootcamp uses. However, you can also use parallels to have its own copy of XP which does not require bootcamp it just stores its copy of XP separately.

7. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

thanks for hte help guys. Also do i have to pay for bootcamp and is it hard to install?

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Bootcamp beta is free. This is the only version out right now. A final version will be out with 10.5 but the beta is stable enough for regular use. I have not heard of many problems. I hear its pretty easy it install. I personally am having trouble with getting windows to boot it is giving a hal.dll error but this is because i have 2 drives in my mac pro. Common windows problem.......

9. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

10. charkshark macrumors member

charkshark

Yeah, bootcamp is essentially your only option for gaming, parallels doesn't support directx 3d and such. The main downside to bootcamp is an effectively slower speed due to the fact you are rebooting your computer everytime you wish to run it.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

can't you play WC3 in OS X? or is there still no Universal Patch out for it?

12. JayRx1981 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if it's Universal or not, but you CAN play WC3 natively in OS X. I do it all the time. It's one of the few PC games I play anymore.

13. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It just adds time and hassle. Here you can download a demo of the Mac version to see how it runs on your system (it is PowerPC only).

15. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

how does rebooting your computer slow down your processor speed? is it the process of rebooting that slows down your computer or Boot Camp that slows it down?

what do you mean natively in OS X? i mean i have the cd and stuff but i dont know if its a mac version.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, there are Windows programs and Mac OS X programs. There is a Mac OS X version of WC3 (which I linked above). It is (probably) separate from the Windows version, has to be purchased separately, and comes on a separate CD.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

blizzard is one of the few companies who make their games PC/MAC compatible, their WC, diablo2 disks are all able to run on both pc and mac.

I bought diablo 2 battle case, and played on my pc, after I switched to mac, same disks can be inserted, installed, and played on the mac, its very nice.

18. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

wait you guys just said two contradicting things.......... =( help

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, I have no personal experience with this game, so what the other poster says may be true. However, in most cases, what I said is true.

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

hehe, goto any game store, pick up a battle case, u can see it is for pc and mac both.

21. JayRx1981 macrumors newbie

clevin is correct. Your WC3 disk is a PC/Mac Hybrid disk and when you pop it into your mac, it boots up the mac side of the hybrid. There should be an installer program visible in the root directory of the mounted disc. You don't need to repurchase the game or find a separate mac disk. It's all on one disk for you.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes your WC3 disk should work in OSX as well

check out Blizzard's site to get the latest patch and update for it. if its not Universal code yet, then it might run slower because of the Rosetta emulation, but if it is Universal, then you won't have a need for Boot Camp :D

23. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i<3youguys
    so i dont even need bootcamp (b/c like i said WC3 is the only game i play) unless WC3 doesn't run well on OSX. Question to Clevin, did your Diablo 2 run slower on Mac than it did on Windows?

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

my D2? not at all, as smooth as under windows