Bootcamp // Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Drewc1fer, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Drewc1fer macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if I just install WinXP on bootcamp if I'll still be able to start it up in Parallels, or am I unable to do that? Thanks :D

EDIT: Nevermind I found out how I can :)

2. firefoxnx macrumors member

firefoxnx

My Boot camp option in Parallels is greyed out. Consider yourself lucky if it works for you.

3. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question but the new Parallels beta 3 allows for the use of the bootcamp drive. You install bootcamp, windows XP with bootcamp and then install the Parallels beta 3. You only need to activate Windows Xp once inside of Parallels and then you are good to go. If you have purchased Parallels then you can use that serial number for the beta and the next upgrade of Parallels will have this feature in it. I use it since it came out and love it. I boot into windows from bootcamp to game but run Parallels under Mac OS X to listen to audio books while I am working on my Mac Book Pro.

4. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

why do you need windows to listen to audio books?

5. tilman macrumors regular

Many public libraries now have downloadable audio books in cooperation with Netlibrary. They are protected by a DRM scheme that only works with Windows Media. Macs and iPods can't play these books.

6. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

My situation exactly. My local library links to a state wide page offering audio books that require Windows media player 9 or above. I don't like Windows much but I love listening to a good book while I do my stupid day job.:D

7. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Audio Books?

Does the windows media player that you can get for Mac not work with these books?

8. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

You need Windows and Windows Media Player 9 or higher. The Mac version of WMP does not handle the DRM to play these files. I think the only version of a Mac Windows Media Player is Flip4Mac and their web site expressly says F4M will not play DRM encoded Windows media files.