BootCamp partitioning got stuck and I lost 30GB

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Papaspyropoulos, Oct 18, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I was partitioning my Disk using BootCamp while trying to install Windows 7 on my MacBook (30GB partition) but my partitioning never ended. The stupid BootCamp got stuck so after one hour I had to turn off my MacBook. I even listened if the HD was working but nothing... The shut down was inevitable.

So I turned on my MacBook again and all seemed fine. That was until I checked my HD capacity! My HD was 30GB less than what I should normally have. Instead of 60GB FREE space I know had 30GB. So I thought that ok, BootCamp must have managed to make the partition even if the MacBook crashed and burned.

No, it hadn't. My 30GB have vanished! I also went to disk utility and used Partition to see if there was any space there but nothing. Disk Utility see my HD as a 250GB disk which is correct. Somehow that 30GB has been recognized as a big chunk of info on my HD so now I am missing 30GB...

Has this ever happened to you?
    Is a format inevitable?

Thanks

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Post screenshots from disk utility if you can.

Use daisydisk or diskinventory x to try and find the 30 GB.

B

3. macrumors Core

alphaod

Go to Disk Utility and then the Partition tab. Select the partition that wasn't formatted correctly and select the [-] to delete it. Then drag the remaining main partition to the full size of the box (with the tab on the bottom corner).

If you need, I made a few visuals:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I bookmarked your fine post as thisnkind of thing comes up a lot. I requested the screenshots to make sure this was the right approach before trying to lead the op into this, but your image guide is pretty comprehensive.

B