Bootcamp Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thedeuce75, Apr 2, 2007.

1. thedeuce75 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. I just picked up a new iMac 20inch 2.16 Core2Duo and everything was going great until I tried to install XP with bootcamp. Using the bootcamp software I created a 32gb partition for XP and allowed it to reboot to the XP install CD.

The problems started when I got to the part of the XP install were it asks me to choose a install destination. Instead of having an option for 32gb drive as I was expecting, I was only given the choice to install it to a 136gb partition. I was not sure what to do, but I allowed the install to continue. Once it was completed and rebooted I ejected the disc, but I received a message stating the there was no bootable device.

I ended up reinstalling OSX from scratch because somehow the drive had become unbootable. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I did wrong?

2. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

You didn't accidently install your Windows partition over your OSX one, did you?? How big is your internal disk normally? (I'm assuming it's 32GB + 136GB = 168GB) From the sounds of it, it's like the Windows partition was made but only your Mac OSX partition was recognised by the Windows installer. I'm not sure though- correct me if I'm wrong.

3. thedeuce75 thread starter macrumors newbie

simontarr, thank you for your response. My imac has a 250gb drive. I don't think I installed XP of OSX. But, the 136gb partition was the only option given during the XP install

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i had a similar problem, and i never found a solution....

5. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

hmmm...curiousness. It's like drive space is vanishing. I thought at first that you had ~180GB Unformatted drive and that only your 136GB OSX partition was visible. Not that I would have been able to help you further if that was the case! :p:eek:

My problem with Bootcamp is that I just cannot install Windows...iMac reboots after partitioning then I get lots of optical drive activity with just a black Mac screen...at least you got further than me.

Since reinstalling OSX, have to tried formatting and installing Windows again?

6. thedeuce75 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Ah well I'm out of ideas I'm afraid- your best bet is to wait for someone with a bit more knowledge than me! I hope you find a solution.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

9. thedeuce75 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have the most recent version of bootcamp.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i never could get it to work on my mac pro either.....so i guess i don't know what to tell you....

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

12. thedeuce75 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Mac was brand new out of the box, so it only had the one partition untill I ran bootcamp.