Windows Bootcamp Q: Win 8 or 7?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Jindra12, Feb 17, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2013
    Hello all,

I am unsure which window OS should I get for bootcamp to run several games such as BF3 and Silent Hunter series. Could you please drop a suggestion for me to get either 8 or 7?

Late iMac 2012, 680mx, 16gb, 1TB Fusion, i7, etc.
  2. macrumors 6502

Sep 3, 2009
    I actually bought 8, and WOW did I hate it. Even considering my using Windows exclusively for the last 15 years. I was blown away with how they took the parts of Win7 that worked, and removed them.

I did do a win8 bootcamp and parallels install, and one day, it was gone. I'm not kidding. It wouldn't boot, and could not be repaired. I took this as a message and deleted the partition and brought Win7 back.

I am told it's leaner, which makes it good for games, but for me, the familiarity I have with win7 makes win8 an albatross. IMO, this is Windows ME or Vista for 2012!
  3. macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    I believe Windows 8 is technically still unsupported by BootCamp. While others likely have workarounds for that, there's probably no benefit to running Windows 8 unless you need something in particular from it. I'm personally running both Windows 7 and 8 in VMs and haven't yet found a reason to prefer Windows 8 for my usage.
  4. macrumors 68020

Nov 2, 2006
    7, if you must do Windows.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2010
  6. macrumors member

Nov 3, 2012
    Canada Eh
    I'd also go Windows 7 (Actually I did, Win7 64Bit VM) I have a Windows 8 Box and don't really like it. It's stable enough and pretty smooth but the interface just doesn't work for me. I tried to get used to it over a few months and did get a lot better but at the end of the day I felt they were trying to out Apple Apple and did not succeed .

Just my opinion go Win 7 (64 Bit)
  7. macrumors 68000

May 17, 2012
    I would not touch Windows 8 with a ten foot pole.

I'd be worried about the potential for compatibility issues with some games as well, depending on their age, etc. I think Windows 7 is a safer bet and it offers a far better user interface than 8 does.
  8. macrumors 68020

Nov 2, 2006
    Let's also put it this way: Gabe Newell of Valve Software hates Windows 8 so much they decided to make Ubuntu the OS in their Steambox game system.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 6, 2006
    (Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    For gaming, greater compatibility, support, stability, etc. I'd go with Windows 7 64-bit at this point in time. GL!
  10. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    I vote for using Windows 7. It's a good, stable OS and doesn't have the annoying (to me) tablet overlay OS.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2013
    7, I bought my wife a new laptop for Christmas it has Windows 8' and we hate it, so go with 7
  12. macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2010
    8 does everything 7 does and more. I have had no problems with 8 under Parallels or Bootcamp.
    Any game I've tried works absolutely fine under 8.
    The 8 interface takes a bit of getting used to, but if you want the same desktop type approach of 7, it's still there in 8.
  13. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2013
    Wow thanks for all the comments! I will go with win 7.
  14. macrumors regular

Sep 9, 2006
    I installed Win 7 for my gaming needs , tried windows 8 but hated it after a week .
  15. macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Had to set up an 8 laptop for my cousin last week....what a wreck.

I've been using windows only for the last...21 years, and 8 is frustrating to navigate and while I got the hang of it after a few hours....I can't help but feel it suffocates the user.

Oh I want to use skype? I have to download the app? ok.

Normally it would be fine, but when I have to go into command prompt to make a workable hack so the Microsoft store will start downloading updates and apps onto a NEW COMPUTER something is terribly, terribly wrong.

Unbelievably frustrating to do simple things that have been only a few mouse clicks in previous editions of Windows...

This OS needs to be taken out back and put down.
  16. macrumors 6502

El Awesome

Jul 21, 2012
    I heard from several people that Win8 is actually nice.
    Stable as Win7, ultra-fast boot, but ugly as hell (at least my opinion), and last but not least, cheaper than Win7.

Personally, I'm running Win7, but if I had to buy a new licence, I'd choose Win8.