Bootcamp Using a Parallels XP Install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Curren~Sea, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Curren~Sea macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

Could Bootcamp use a Parallels XP Install?

I installed Parallels (trial) and XP along with all of the updates. It does not have enough functionality for me so I am considering using Bootcamp. I do not have the XP SP2 disks so I am wondering if there is some way to have Bootcamp look at my XP install from Parallels?

If that doesn't work, what would be the simplest/easiest way to get Bootcamp and XP to work if all I have is a rubberband and some duct tape? Er, I mean... I have a W98 disk and an old XP Home disk.

2. jchapman007 macrumors newbie

This is what I would do

Use your parallels virtual machine to do this:

Download Acronis True Image, and burn a boot CD.

I would go ahead and run the bootcamp setup to partition your drive.

Set up a new virtual machine to use boot camp.

Add a 2nd hard drive in your new virtual machine using the HD file that your old Virtual machine used. IT should be found in your /Documents/Parallels/"Name of old Virtual Machine(usually Windows XP)"/ folder

Then boot the new VM and run the Acronis Boot CD. Clone the old VM hard drive to your real Boot Camp HD.

I know this sounds complicated and it might not work exactly how I explained it but i'm sure this would work maybe with a few modifications to this.

Hope this helps and hopefully parallels will make a tool to do this but I doubt they will since this would encourage people not to use Parallels and use Bootcamp instead. Maybe someone will write a tool to do this though.