Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
I've installed bootcamp, set the Windows partition to 18 GB, made the drivers disk, restarted and was going through the Windows XP Setup. It got to the point where there's a blue screen stating:

"Welcome to Setup... This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows to run on your computer... - To set up Windows XP now, press Enter - To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery console, press R - To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3."

So I press the enter/return key, but nothing happens at all. Pressing "R" or "F3" does nothing either. Anyone know why this happens?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
hkriffraff said:
So I press the enter/return key, but nothing happens at all. Pressing "R" or "F3" does nothing either. Anyone know why this happens?
First questions first. You are using a wired USB keyboard, not the BT keyboard, right?

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
hkriffraff said:
It's on a new Macbook Pro...
Hmm. I don't know.

If you have a USB keyboard, particularly a PC keyboard, you could try that just to get it installed...

FWIW you might have to push fn with F3 to generate the right keystroke, but that doesn't get you where you want to be.

B

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Could there be a problem with the installation disk (a technician at work burned it for me -- we have a site license) or is it likely a hardware problem? Any other ideas?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
hkriffraff said:
Could there be a problem with the installation disk (a technician at work burned it for me -- we have a site license) or is it likely a hardware problem? Any other ideas?
Could be one of many, many things. Some people have indicated that the MB's optical drives are picky w.r.t. certain media, so that could be a problem. Or it could just be a bad/missing file in the CD your technician burned. You could also have some hardware problem with you kb that is only apparent in Windows...

Hard to diagnose without changing some of the variables, e.g. using an external USB keyboard during the install and/or using an external optical drive or trying to install the burned CD you have on a regular PC.

B

hellodan

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2006
Had a similar problem on the 13" Macbook.

Disconnect anything from the notebook (MIghty Mouse, USB Keyboard, etc) and then try it again.

I disconnected my Mighty mouse and it worked fine.

-_-" Too bad i didn't figure that out after 4 hours of bashing my head.

hope that helps.

bigsumo

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2006
Had same problem here... Macbook Pro 17", retail XP SP2 CD, USB Mighty Mouse. Removed the Mighty Mouse from the USB port, XP setup continues without a problem now. Thanks for the tip, hellodan!

nearlysober

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
I just got a new iMac last night and was experiencing the same problem, I'd get to that point in the installation and it would not recognize me hitting Enter, F3 or R.

Fresh out of the box, Boot Camp was the first thing I downloaded and attmepted to install.

I'll try it again tonight without the mouse hooked up. Also my Windows XP disc is SP1, not SP2 I think... and the documentation says to use SP2 so that might be the culprit... hope not though.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
nearlysober said:
and the documentation says to use SP2 so that might be the culprit...
Definitely the main culprit. You can add SP2 to your install CD though a process called slipstreaming. Search the forum for info, and try again whan you have an SP2 install CD.

B

belsokar

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2005
I've been trying several times to install a legit copy of Win XP Pro, sp2 to my brand new MBP 2.0ghz, 512ram. It just keeps going REAL slow, and freezing at various points of the installation...today it froze at the "copying setup files" part of the installation....yesterday it froze at the actual installation segment, when it stated there were 6 minutes left,...and then froze there for about 2.5 hours...eventually a reboot restarted the installation...eventually i had to delete the partition and try again, and now it's frozen again...

i'm not sure what to do now, because i bought this computer with a big need to run windows on it some of the time...

kangorillas

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
South Florida
bigsumo said:
Had same problem here... Macbook Pro 17", retail XP SP2 CD, USB Mighty Mouse. Removed the Mighty Mouse from the USB port, XP setup continues without a problem now. Thanks for the tip, hellodan!

emoved the Mighty Mouse from the USB port and it worked! thanks for that lol now i just gott figure out where to install it i 4got which partitation it is

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
belsokar said:
i'm not sure what to do now, because i bought this computer with a big need to run windows on it some of the time...
Depending on what you need Windows for have you considered Parallels? I find it surprisingly good.

B

plaintiger

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
(r)emoved the Mighty Mouse from the USB port and it worked! thanks for that lol now i just gott figure out where to install it i 4got which partitation it is

alas, i'm having the same problem with my mighty mouse disconnected. maybe i should disconnect my Kensington Expert Mouse too? just go mouseless until i get windoze installed? :confused:

* * * wait a minute: the last post to this thread was in 2006?!? :eek: i didn't realize Boot Camp existed in 2006! * * *

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.