Bootcamp/XP install hangs on diskcheck - I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TomServo, Feb 6, 2007.

1. TomServo macrumors newbie

Long time listener, first time caller.

Alright, I'm stumped. Every install ends the same way. The driver & OS install fine, but then, for seemingly no reason, the box hangs and I have to hard boot. XP defaults into disk-check mode, then hangs. Sometimes at 21%, sometimes at 19%, but always in that range. I have tried multiple installs with both XP and Vista, and with different size partitions. I have also reloaded OS X.

My first guess is a bad sector in the hard drive, but any disk checking from OS X reports no problems. Disk checking in XP, however, throws a BSoD.

I have AppleCare, but since BC is unsupported and I can't get OS X to identify the problem - well, you get the point. Does anyone know of a good low-level drive diagnostic for OS X?

Could it be the SATA driver issue I have heard about? Does anyone have any suggestions besides get a new drive (not sure if that's worth it just for an XP partition)?

MBP CD, 2.16, 1gb, 15", 100gb
    Thanks in advance.
    Servo

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

:D

I wouldn't rule out the hard drive. Use something better than Disk Utility to check for problems (I don't have any suggestions myself, that kind of software can be expensive). Or maybe you already did?

The SATA driver issue was only on the Mac Pro and was fixed with a firmware update.