Bootcamp XP won't run in Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ericthered, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ericthered macrumors member

I've posted this in the parallels forum but no luck there so I hope that I can get some suggestions here.

My situation:

I have XP pro installed using boot camp on a separate NTFS formatted drive in my mac pro. It used to work just fine in Parallels until the VM froze and I was forced to terminate the VM without the proper 'windows shutdown' sequence. After this shutdown, windows would not boot in Bootcamp or through parallels. I have successfully repaired windows and it boots just fine in bootcamp but still will not work in parallels.
    I have tried deleting the VM and reconfiguring a new VM but this did not work.

What should I try next?

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I don't have a good response to this. However, have you uninstalled parallel tools using the bootcamp partition. I think I did this a while back to get it to work. Give this a go, no promises that it will work though.

Nuc

Edit: Also try deleting all the preferences for parallels (OSX side). Try this first before trying my suggestion above.

3. ericthered thread starter macrumors member

I tried to uninstall parallels tools but it won't uninstall (even in safe mode, which is weird)

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Find the parallels preferences and delete those. I'm not sure exactly where they are in the library. Beyond this I'm not sure what to do except for a full reinstall of windows.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Nuc

5. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

run>regedit> and delete anything parallels in there.

6. ericthered thread starter macrumors member

Tried that last night. Seemed to help as after that the VM booted up to a message that stated I had to reactivate windows and then froze. Parallels once again corrupted my XP install when I had to kill the VM without proper shutdown (I tried everything I knew to get the VM to respond with no success). I am just about to give up on Parallels.
    Their forums are next to worthless and no-one answers the e-mail I sent to their support team.

Does anyone here have any answers other than a complete reinstall of XP? I really do not want to do that.

Thanks for your assistance