BootCamped XP only runs at 1ghz?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FragTek, Jun 2, 2006.

1. FragTek macrumors 6502

I've noticed that whatever I do I can't get Windows to scale the processor up to full speed. It seems to be locked at 1ghz, is this a documented problem or is it just my setup?

My MBP specs are in my sig. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. BananaEater macrumors newbie

me too

Mine says 988MHz too? :confused:

edit: 1,83MHz Macbook that is

3. McKellar macrumors newbie

I have a Bootcamped MBP too, I've noticed running a stats program like CPU-Z that it will run at 1Ghz when doing something relatively unstressful (like just sitting on the desktop) to save power. Try launching an intensive app like game or Photoshop, quickly change to the stats app and you'll notice that it'll be running at 2Ghz (or 1.83 or 2.16, whatever the normal speed is).

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Ahh problem solved. That certainly makes sense.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

One of the Core Duo's big ticket items is the way it dynamically scales it's processor power up and down depending on the strain put upon it. I'm guessing 1GHz is just the lower limit of that scale.

Try running some heavy programs and look at the speed then.

6. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm I tried opening photoshop originlly before my first post to see if it wouls scale but it never did (maybe I missed it).

i'll give it another shot when I get home from work. thanks for the replies!

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just opening Photoshop isn't going to do much (especially as it's Windows-native), do some filters on a big image and check it, run a decent game in windowed mode and a bunch of other apps, you know, reeeally push it hard.

8. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

10-4. I'll give it a shot when I get home

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can also go to the Power Options control panel and change the power scheme. Going from Portable/Laptop to Home/Office Desk works with AMD Processors when you want to turn off Speedstep.

10. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

It's "C1E" and "EIST"

C1E = Sleep State C1 Enhanced. It dynamicly disables unused parts of the CPUs such as Cache and pipelines.

EIST = Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology. It dynamicly adjusts the Core clock rate (1ghz ~ max) and it dynamicly adjusts the core voltage from .90 to 1.5v.

Mac OS X currently only makes use of the C1E Sleep State. The "SpeedIT" project is supposed to make use of the EIST. EIST, when correctly enabled can bring the CPU down to room temp when idle.

11. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

oooh, is there a working beta for that project or is it still in the works? that sounds like a necessity!

12. ph0rce macrumors 6502

well my iMac 2GHz runs at full speed when doing something big (like defrag) but doing nothing it is 1GHz or slightly less... on each core that is

13. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

I fired up two instances of Prime95 and sure enough it jumped right up to full speed. Viva la cpu throttling :D