booting an osx external disk on an intel mac ????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gokhan, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

hi guys

i have a few backups of osx 10.3.9 to 10.4 from various ppc machines on an external firwire drive before i picked my macbook pro i was able to boot these back-ups on an ppc machine now however the intel macbook pro wont recognize these start-ups disks is there any work around that would enable me to boot from these ppc back-ups ???

p.s i know i could do it if i reformated the disk but thats not really a option !!!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not possible.

Think about it..

Intel Hardware cannot run on PPC OS X.

3. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

An Intel Mac will only boot from an Intel installation of OSX. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to boot your Intel Mac off of the install CD with the external drive attached and then install OSX onto the external drive without erasing your other files and settings (an "Archive and Install" or the like).

But it's just a guess... maybe others have had success.

4. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. GuyV macrumors newbie

You misunderstood the article I think. It's talking about the partitioningscheme, not the OS install itself, as it says "The boot disks for the Intel and PowerPC versions of OS X do need to live on separate partitions". So what it says is that you might be able to install OS X on the external HD without completely erasing the whole disk before if you have several partitions, that's all and I don't think it will help you a lot. In any case, I'd backup the data before trying anything. Booting the PPC-Installs however is not possible. It's about binaries, drivers etc... can't be done.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Reading is fundamental.

It's NOT possible to boot an Intel Mac from PPC code.

7. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

k

i understand but i took this to me you can boot up from a ppc install if you do it a specfic way but i think the stumbling block would be drivers , different machines etc

thanks apple you could have added support for this dammit