Booting from a FW HDD Q's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LethalWolfe, Mar 7, 2004.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is it as reliable as booting from an internal HDD or is it quirky at times? How do you tell your Mac to boot from the external drive instead of the internal one?

Obviously I'm not experienced w/this so if people could post their experiences and the pro's/con's of booting from FW I'd appriciate it. :)

Lethal

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I haven't had any issues w/ booting from FW drives at all in my lab or at home. It's a pretty smooth process.

You use Startup Disk in System Prefs to choose th FW drive, just like you would to boot back and forth between 9 and X.

3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

it's maybe a snidge slower at times. but like rower said, it's a smooth process. your biggest potential problem is in the hardware itself -- some cheaper firewire bridges can be a little glitchy.

4. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Cool. Tell me if, for whatever reason, my plan doesn't sound doable. My G4 is my editing machine and it is currently running 10.1.5 and FCP 3. I've had constant projects on this machine and that's why I haven't upgrade. Now, I still have on-going projects in FCP 3 and I don't want to switch horses mid-stream but I'm seeing more and more requests for FCP 4 specifically so I was thinking of buying Panther and the FCP 4 upgrade and installing those on a FW drive. And then once I was done w/my current FCP 3 projects I would transition completely over to Panther. Sound plausible?

Lethal

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yup, sounds great. Just use CarbonCopyCloner to move your Panther content over to the internal drive once you're set to upgrade.

6. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

You can also choose which boot drive you use by holding down the option key upon boot (like swithching from X to 9).

I have an iBook and a FW HDD (7200rpm), and it's actually quicker when I boot from the FW drive...

7. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And that answers my next question. :)

Lethal