Booting from firewire wont work. Help.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hsvguy, Apr 27, 2005.

1. hsvguy macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    I baught a FW400 drive enclosure and wacked in an 80gb hard disk so I could boot my PBG4 from it when I'm at my desk. The box says Mac compatible, and i can copy files to and from it. Only thing is that it wont let me boot from it.

Ive installed MAC OS X sev times from the Install cd's (Retail but also restore DVD's), done a carbon copy clone, blessed system folders, but it still wont boot. It shows up as a startup disk in the system prefs, and i select and lock to it, but come bootup time, it wont work.

I also tried repairing permissions and playing with the jumper settings on the drive. Still the MAC OS "can't find disk" icon flashes if i try booting from it, holding down option on boot the drive wont even show up as a bootable volume.

I'm at a loss here. The drive cage is a Zynet Polar. I think it uses the Genesys Logic chipset. Anyone have any hacks, firmware or ideas to make this thing boot? Its driving me nuts!
  2. jasonbdesign macrumors newbie

May 2, 2005
    Bellflower, CA
    Similar Problem

hey I'm not sure if you fixed your firewire drive to be able to boot from it yet, but I have a similar situation. Read my thread and maybe we can talk about it and come up with some ideas.

I just posted the thread under Mac Peripherals, Jasonbdesign
  3. ttrtilley macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2003
    Seems worse than that. I can't seem to boot from ANY firewire drive as long as this obviously untested piece to Taiwanese junk (DYNAMIC SYSTEM ELECTRONICS CORP /Zynet Polar Hd-D5-U2FW/Prolific PL3507 Combo Device/WDC WD25 00JB-55FUA0) is attached to the bus. Just wasted a whole day on this. Nothing in their FAQ about booting. I wonder if they have ever heard about booting from a firewire drive. Also, the case got abnormally hot when it remained in this failed state till morning. It is usually just luke warm (like your forehead when you've got the flu) but it became almost too hot to hold.