booting in the console

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phiber optik, Jul 25, 2006.

1. phiber optik macrumors newbie

hey guys
    maybe some unix gurus could tell me if its possible to boot your user name, or at least see the desktop, not as a whole bunch of icons, but a simple command line. is it possible to do this?
    thanks
    phiber

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Terminal in Applications->Utilities is essentially that. It is a full featured Unix command line where you can launch any OS X or Unix application.

You can boot into single user mode by holding s or apple+s or something like that at startup. However, it is actually less featured than terminal in that write permission is default off, you aren't logged in and most importantly, you can only run command line apps, any app that uses any kind of graphic other than text won't run.

3. phiber optik thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thats what i essentially meant: booting in an environment similar to the console. apple-s you say? ill have to try it sometime.

4. howesey macrumors 6502a

Man file for init

To move between consoles just use ctrl+alt+F1, ctrl+alt+F2... etc. ctrl+alt+F7 will bring you back to aqua if you have the GUI running.

5. wala macrumors member

Command-S is meant to be a doomsday thing, it's very insecure.

There's some information at http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/h/348, but it's a little outdated, so... you first! :)
    You can also try logging in as the user ">console", though this never works for me (PPC Mac Mini, Tiger 10.4.7).