booting into X from 8.6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barag, Dec 24, 2004.

1. barag macrumors newbie

I had to boot my G3 into 8.6 to do something, and now I cant get back into osX. I would use the install disks, but sadly I lost them. Is there anyway to get back into X without buying osX again? I do have the system disks for a 15inch powerbook, but i dont know if i can use them to boot. Also, if I do a system restore from the 8.6 disk to clean out this computer (which is cluttered to say the least) will that mess with my osX install? Thanks

Ryan

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

Have you tried to start your system while holding down the option key? This should open the startup manager where you can select which OS you want to boot into.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

IF he has a beige G3 it wont work (it don't work on mine atleast) due to the old world rom.

Try holding down command-option-shift-delete while booting

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I think on the "old world" machines you can hold either "option + X" or is it "command + X" - it's been a long time since I had ol' beige.....give those a try.....oh yeah!

5. barag thread starter macrumors newbie

I'v tried holding option, and option+x as well as command+x with no luck. Holding option+command+shift+delite gave me a grey screen with a blue folder in the middle flashing between the macos face and a question mark. Any other ideas short of buying osX again?

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

that's a bad sign...

what did you do in os 8.6? don't tell me you used norton utils or some other disk utils !