Booting OS X Lion GM: No Welcome Video, New Introduction to Scrolling

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With Apple having seeded the Golden Master (GM) version of OS X Lion earlier today, users are finally getting a look at what the OS X Lion experience should be like in the shipping version.

One staple of Mac OS X installations over the past several versions has been the welcome video that displays at first boot, displaying an animation of the word "Welcome" in a number of different languages and set to the song "Exodus Honey" by Honeycut [iTunes link]:

Unfortunately for fans of the video, neither the previous welcome video nor a new one appears to be included in the GM version of OS X Lion. While a welcome video could conceivably still be added at the last minute, previous OS X releases have seen the video included in GM seeds.

Instead, OS X Lion boots straight into Setup Assistant to help users get up and running. And one new addition to Setup Assistant is an introduction to Multi-Touch scrolling, offering users a glimpse at the enhanced Multi-Touch features included in the new operating system.

[​IMG]

The text and image are customized depending on the input device being used, such as a Magic Mouse or built-in trackpad.

OS X Lion is set to be released to the public later this month and will be available exclusively through the Mac App Store for $29.99.

Article Link: Booting OS X Lion GM: No Welcome Video, New Introduction to Scrolling

2. macrumors 68000

I'm sure the video will be there. They just aren't showing that in the GM build. I'm pretty sure there was no video in the GM builds for SL. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

3. macrumors 6502

Slix

Or for those of us that don't have a touch input device for their Mac yet... No tutorial.

4. macrumors demi-god

You're wrong.

5. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

GM is a GM. It is not a RC. It is the final product.

6. macrumors newbie

Boot video

Perhaps they've left it out to maximize space for those machines with SSD's...

7. macrumors member

davebarnes

The video was annoying

The video was similar to a website splash page.
    Useless.

8. macrumors 68000

I always liked the start up video, but I guess its not the biggest deal..

9. nerdo, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

macrumors regular

App store download, so maybe trying to maximize download for OS and not a splashscreen video? Although I'm not sure how big the video really was. To be honest I'm glad if they drop it, always hated it.

Pretty sure they are still trying to get the sound synced with the new video, but they made the mistake of using FCPX

10. macrumors 65816

arjen92

With the new FCPX it wasn't possible for them to make a new video.

11. macrumors 65816

Aren't the Leopard and Snow Leopard "Welcome" videos the same?

12. macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Where does the video live on a Mac in Snow Leopard?

13. macrumors 68000

The definition Apple uses of GM does not necessarily mean it is the final product. For example, Apple posted a second GM build for iOS 4.2.

14. macrumors regular

Vol7ron

oh snap....So i guess the next version of Final Cut X will allow them to make a video....for 10.8

15. macrumors member

CindyRed

It's there...

Of course the video will be there. The video is now going to be the entire feature length film; 'Birth of a Nation' directed by D.W.Griffith from 1915. Since it's a silent film, they'll be using all the covers and variations of Justin Bieber's 'Baby' as the soundtrack. They just want to surprise us with this bold new intro video choice.

16. macrumors 68000

Well. That settles it. Clearly Apple feels that Mac users are no longer welcome.

Post PC era indeed.

Time to switch to Windows.

17. macrumors 6502

To quote John McEnroe - "You Cannot Be Serious!"

18. macrumors 68000

Did Apple include an intro video in a SL GM build?

19. macrumors 65816

If this is the Gold Master, then there will be no video. Gold Master means finished - no changes. It is the version of the software that will be released to the public if there are no outstanding "show-stoppers".

20. macrumors 65816

I have to say I'm not bothered by it being gone- in fact I like the fact that it's not there. The less "filler" data there is the better. This video only gets played once and then sits on the HD forever, taking up space. Sure hard drives are bigger than ever now, but that is no excuse to waste it needlessly.

21. macrumors 65816

res1233

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They did since they used the same vid as they did in leopard.

22. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, as I noted in the article. ;)

23. macrumors regular

It was only 20 MB

/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/TransitionSection.bundle/Contents/Resources

24. macrumors regular

I was hoping for the MGM Lion to appear, roaring out of the Apple logo....

25. milbournosphere, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Yes, I was wrong. Back on topic, I will miss the video; I thought it was a nice touch.