Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Actually, 10.7 is a bigger advancement in APIs, foundation, performance and usability than 10.6.

GCD, LLVM/Clang/LLDB/Libc++/Compiler-RT/, OpenGL 3.2 system-wide, 1500 new APIs, OpenCL 1.1, Xcode 4 complete rewrite, etc., are just a few advancements over 10.6.

Thanks for the correction. Gotta keep things straight around here. :) Back on topic, I always thought the little video was a nice touch. It will be missed.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
The welcome video always reminded me of those crappy flash intros on some websites in the early 2000s. I hope they don't include it any longer.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
to be honest whilst i'll be getting Lion, I'm quite disillusioned with the ceaseless hype from Apple about their progressive OS changes.

It all sounds so juvenile and banal to crow about how "awesome" and "cool" the supposed changes are - do they have any idea how immature and childish they sound as middle aged men using such language in their promo videos?

Maybe its me being English and therefore having no tolerance for earnestness...

Or maybe its the fact that despite the endless hype Leopard didnt seem to really do much more than Tiger, and SL seemed an embarassed admission of the many flaws within Leopard.

I cant get too excited over a new look to a mail program that I will never use.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The lack of a video seems to be going along with the start of a new era for Apple - I'll call it the "digital distribution" era. First the App Store, then the Mac App Store, then Lion being distributed electronically, and now this... it all fits together like a giant puzzle that even the developers couldn't see all the pieces of. That said... it will be missed. I have fond memories of the older intro videos.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Previews 1-3 no longer available.

I noticed that when GM went live on my App Store account, the Preview 1-3 became disabled but did not disappear. Only Preview 4 and GM can be downloaded now.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
aww, but I've just about forgotten how to say 'welcome' in a variety of languages... what will I do now!? :p

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I actually liked the welcome video. For me it was just like a warm welcome to a new user experience. I don't mind that they are going to remove it though. It's not ground-breaking but a little less quirky.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I'm excited for Lion! But with say new Macs that have Lion, they will ship a CD with Lion on it for restoring right? Or will they want you to use that recovery partition? That recovery partition is moot if your drive failed, or is upgraded though.

I certainly hope that I can make a bootable DVD like people can with the beta. It will be nice, as regardless what OS (Windows Mac OS, Linux) I ALWAYS back up what I want, then wipe the drive, and start fresh.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm excited for Lion! But with say new Macs that have Lion, they will ship a CD with Lion on it for restoring right? Or will they want you to use that recovery partition? That recovery partition is moot if your drive failed, or is upgraded though.

I certainly hope that I can make a bootable DVD like people can with the beta. It will be nice, as regardless what OS (Windows Mac OS, Linux) I ALWAYS back up what I want, then wipe the drive, and start fresh.
I suspect Apple will go the USB key route with new Macs. Faster than a DVD, for one thing. Regarding your other point, it appears that you CAN make a DVD from the Lion installer downloaded from the Mac App Store but you have to do some poking around to make it work.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I suspect Apple will go the USB key route with new Macs. Faster than a DVD, for one thing. Regarding your other point, it appears that you CAN make a DVD from the Lion installer downloaded from the Mac App Store but you have to do some poking around to make it work.

So you can make a bootable DVD of lion with the GM? I know it can be done with the betas, but my brother is insisting it will not be in the final release. I don't know why he thinks that, but I hope he is wrong.

Joelb955

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
I have always loved the Intro Video Especially after a fresh install. If they get rid of it that would seriously suck. Maybe apple is still testing the lion waters. Like they did with the DP's Notice how all of the "Dumb" Features were removed like the default of no running app indicators. If they see the community does not like it they will change it.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Regarding the question about Magic Mouse
vs. Magic Pad.

Ditch the mouse. Magic Pad is made for Lion!

So much better to use and it seems to support
more gestures.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Actually, 10.7 is a bigger advancement in APIs, foundation, performance and usability than 10.6.

GCD, LLVM/Clang/LLDB/Libc++/Compiler-RT/, OpenGL 3.2 system-wide, 1500 new APIs, OpenCL 1.1, Xcode 4 complete rewrite, etc., are just a few advancements over 10.6.

You said new API's; but I'll just break that up and say: New API's and AVFoundation.

\All hail AVFoundation/

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
That's because it's not a new OS. It's a glorified service pack. It requires 10.6 to install, is only available as a download on the app store, there's no option to install on a formatted disk, etc. From what I can tell, it's basically a collection of libraries that installs over Snow Leopard.

Don't get me wrong, the added features in Lion are cool, and Snow Leopard is a solid base to build from. But I would call it more of a large patch than a new OS.

Shut your mouth please. Thank you. :eek:

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
No welcome video because...

They tried to do it in Final Cut Pro X LOLOLOL!!!!!!!! :cool:

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
If it's available through the App Store later this month and they don't need to bother with packaging or disc pressing, why not make it available tomorrow?

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
If it's available through the App Store later this month and they don't need to bother with packaging or disc pressing, why not make it available tomorrow?
I am still holding out hope they will relent and offer a disc version on this. I even live in a major city and still can only get DSL. It would take me 8 hours to download this. and just what happens to their servers on D day when tens of millions are trying to download a 4 GB file?

Blakeco123

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I'm sure the video will be there. They just aren't showing that in the GM build. I'm pretty sure there was no video in the GM builds for SL. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

The video was there because it was the same as the leopard video, however in leopard the video was in the gm but it was a set to the same music as tiger intro video. so maybe they just aren't finished yet?

Last edited:

Alexander

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
I am still holding out hope they will relent and offer a disc version on this. I even live in a major city and still can only get DSL. It would take me 8 hours to download this. and just what happens to their servers on D day when tens of millions are trying to download a 4 GB file?

There's this little company called Akamai...

eah2119

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
I actually kind of liked it. How many people want to start up their computer for the first time and have it tell you to set everything up? It's cool to have a little video and dance to welcome you to your next best friend. It gives the computer a bit of a personality. I mean, what are people going to say when they first turn on their Mac? "Oh wow, this is nice. Welcome to you too."

They could change the song that went along with it though. do-do-da-do-do. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.