Booting to Windows to set up Linksys WRT54G?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blackbunny, Oct 24, 2006.

1. blackbunny macrumors newbie

I have MACBOOK with Windows installed and am about to set up the wireless stuff with a Linksys WRT54G. My question is, I have Windows already on my 'book....can I just use the Windows-based "Install Wizard" CD that came with it while booted into windows? I've already used the windows mode (out of perverseness and morbid curiosity) to connect to the net, and it works (recognises all my settings, etc). The thing is, I have an old (350mz, slot loading) iMac that I still plan to use and want to have hooked up via ethernet wire to my Cable modem, which I reckon will be connected to my New Linksys. That is, the iMac will be hooked into one of the ports of the Linksys to access the cable modem.
    Hope to get an answer soon before I cowboy it on my own. Any answers, please just info...no opinions and editorializing about Linksys.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that should be fine. All you're doing is running a Windows-specific program that'll help you configure the router. Windows on Boot Camp is effectively the same as Windows on any other PC. Once it's configured, your old iMac (and the current machine too) should be able to use its connection abilities seamlessly. :)

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I thought you could set up Linksys routers just fine from any web browser, no specific platform necessary. Am I wrong? :confused:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's absolutely right, but they have a small Windows-only app that streamlines the process. :)

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Seems that booting into Windows on a Mac hardly qualifies as "streamlining." ;) But, to each their own I guess.

6. PatrickF macrumors 6502

The Linksys WRT54G will listen on 192.168.1.1 by default. Point your browser and use username admin, password admin to configure the router.

I've never used the software to configure mine.

7. blackbunny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so far....

OK, I used Windows on my Macbook to configure my Linksys after doing it the hard way via MacOS, and it seems to be working....this is after I did it once successfully (after a lot of frustration maintaining a contact) on the Mac platform and it pooped out after a half hour. We'll see how long this lasts. It's the nototriously bad V.5. If it screws up again I am wondering whether to change the firmware......It's 3:44 AM EST and I have been working on this for about 5 hours, not including a "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" break......

8. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Default Login info is as follows

Username: (blank)
    Password: admin

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah, I hate this crap that router vendors do now where they have stuff in the box saying "STOP!!! DON'T SETUP THIS ROUTER UNTIL YOU INSTALL OUR BLOATWARE ON YOUR PC!!!" I love Linksys routers, but they're just as guilty. They even put stickers over the damn ports telling you to install the software first when the software is completely, utterly unnecessary.

1. Plug in computer, browse to 192.168.1.1, put in default password.
    2. Change default password to something else.
    3. Change default SSID to something else, secure wireless with WPA.

Done. No software to install.

10. PatrickF macrumors 6502

The Linksys firmware will actually accept any username. Once you get DD-WRT on there it requires a username.

11. jtown macrumors 6502

In defense of the companies that use the "use our installer CD" tactic, there are reasons for it. They can't assume that the person who bought the router has their network configured correctly. Part of the installer process will (should?) run through checking the network configuration of the computer and either fix it or walk through the process with the user. Telling someone to use the web configuration on the router won't work if they've got an assigned IP on a different subnet than the router and DHCP is turned off.

OTOH, it wouldn't kill them to include a web-based configuration walkthrough on the router. When they connect to the router's web interace, provide an option for "simple setup" or "manual setup" and have the simple version run them through the same process as the install CD. Since most Mac and Linux systems will "just work" (provided the user hasn't been screwing with the network configuration), they could use the simple web setup as the default method with the CD as a backup.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

There is no need to use Windows. The Linksys can be set up and configured using any Web Browser. The router has a built-in web server. You can use the browser on the iMac or any computer that you can plug into the wired port. You don't need the CD that came with the router.

One more thing. For most users a simple "reset to factory defaults" ghdoes exactly what they need and no set up is required. OK, you do need to go in an turn on encryption for the wireless network and set a password but you can do that from any connected computer. Again no need for that disk.

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You don't need some stupid CD to set up a wireless router. Companies are taking networking down a notch by dumbing-down their products. There is a wizard to auto-detect standard connection settings for most wireless routers, and I believe Linksys is one company that has that. Follow PatrickF's advice.

14. ddekker macrumors regular

linksys

I wrote about this exact topic on my site once (I'd post it, but I don't want to be spanked by the admins...lol) but you can set it up from any browser, but I can tell you the auto disk that comes with it (that only runs on windows) is about the simplest setup I have ever seen... but it can be done either way... just make sure if its DSL you have all your info in front of you (username and passwords and things) with a cable modem its simple either way... DSL uses PPOE a little more work to set up..

good luck

DD

15. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Yeah this app sucks, use advise above.

I hate how they put that sticker on there "RUN THIS CD FIRST." My dad did that and something went wrong, took me day to figure out how to get rid of it and get back to normal windows wireless configuration tools.

16. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I agree that sticking with a simple web browser to configure the router is the way to go. If anything goes wrong with the Windows utility you will end up using the browser anyway. I have set up several Linksys routers with my little old iBook, all the configurations for Macs and Windows, WPA, port forwarding, even the static DHCP for printers is all there. The web interface by Linksys is really pretty good.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

ugh, the WRT54Gs are pretty crap. Well as long as you do no p2p you'll probably be fine. BitTorrent clogs up the pipes like noone's business. I had to decrease the TCP and UDP timeouts and then decrease my peer limit in Azereus. I believe it's because the RAM is soo tiny in this model... Oh yeah, for somereason it bricked itself and I could only get in to the web config through a Static IP - that was when I HAD to slap DD-WRT on it or be forced to call support.

18. blackbunny thread starter macrumors newbie

follow-up