Booting up 0S8.6

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Optikal, Sep 30, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

I have an old mac with OS 8.6 on it, and some important data. And it just crashed on me... It doesn't boot up :(
    Is there any disk utility manager that I can use to fix it? I have the DiskWarrior 3.0 but that only works for OS X and above, I guess...

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

So you don't have the original OS8 CDs? If you did, couldn't you boot up from those then run disk repair?

4. macrumors Core

MacNut

If you have Norton boot from the cd and than retrieve your files.

5. macrumors 68000

mklos

If you have an open IDE connector somewhere on your Mac then you could also take the HD out with OS 8.6 on it and then put it in your current Mac and see if it mounts. If it does then you should be able to retrieve the files on that hard drive. Anything from an extra bay in a Pre-G5 PowerMac, or even an external FW Case will work.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to boot up using the mac 8.6 CD. But I am unable to repair the hard disk. I have my files secured, but I would still like to get this computer up and running....

Is there a way to fix the HD?

7. Moderator emeritus

yellow

If it's a hardware failure that is causing it, no, you will have to replace the drive. If it's the original drive that came with the Mac, then it's pretty likely to be rooted in hardware failure. If it's just a software failure, you should be able to wipe the drive and reinstall everything.