Borderlands 2 Arrives on the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 20, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Hit first-person-shooter/role-playing-game Borderlands 2 has arrived on the Mac just two months after going on sale on the PC and consoles, a very quick turnaround for a major title. Many major titles arrive on the Mac many months or even years after they land on the PC.
    Borderlands 2 is available for $44.99 on Aspyr's GameAgent store. The store has a system requirements checker that can verify the user's Mac against the system requirements before purchase, but here is the abbreviated list of requirements:
    Article Link: Borderlands 2 Arrives on the Mac
  2. macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2012
  3. macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

Apr 10, 2012
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2012
  5. macrumors 604

Nov 17, 2008
    Hollywood, CA
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2010
    The "system requirements checker" is a neat feature to include, provided you have a Facebook or Twitter account and allow their app to run using the Java plug-in.

Thankfully, the specs are right there on the page, but the checker could've been a lot less convoluted for those who would prefer to use one. The "Crucial System Scanner" from is a good model to follow.
  7. macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2009
    Yes it will work on both Mac and Windows. Read about "SteamPlay"... buy it on one platform, play it on either. You purchase either the Mac or the Windows version and you can install them both on their respective platforms.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I can't seem to create an account there. Their Country options for "Billing Address" do not include the United States? :confused:
  9. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
  10. macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2012

I don't trust minimum system requirements. I'll be hunting for a demo to verify whether it runs acceptably.
  11. Nermal, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    Thanks, that's a huge saving over the US$70 that Steam wants for it here!

Edit: Although it hasn't turned up within the promised 10 minutes...

Edit 2: It's arrived. I can't see how to actually redeem it through the Steam site so I won't be able to test it until I get home.

Edit 3: It works :)
  12. macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2010
  13. macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

Apr 10, 2012
    That is because it is a UK site. You will need to find an equivalent in America. I can't suggest any as I don't live there.

It doesn't need to be a CD Key site. Any Windows copy of the game will have a serial in the box that activates on Steam.

Open up Steam.

On your menu bar you will see a menu marked games. On that menu select "Activate a product on Steam"
  14. macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2012
    Outstanding game, highly recommended if your Mac can run it smoothly. Been playing Borderlands 2 on the PS3 and having a blast with it. Game of the year by a pretty wide margin.
  15. macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Bought the game when it game out and activated it on Steam, playing under Windows (Boot Camp).

Came home today and was glad to find that it has the same Steam AppID, so I was just able to install it and I was good to go. Save games use Steam Cloud, so no dealing with that. Golden Keys (22!) were tied to my SHiFT Account, so I had those once I logged in to SHiFT.

Just had to adjust some settings, and I was good to go. There is a framerate hit compared to Windows (was running 1920x1080, 4x FSAA, 16XAF, everything on high), but that's about it.
  16. macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2009
  17. macrumors 601

Apr 3, 2003
    The SimplyGames (UK) workaround not only sounds sketchy, but also unfair to Aspyr, who ported the game to Mac. I think we should support Mac gaming by supporting Mac developers.

If you're interested in a more "legitimate" deal, try the MacUpdate sale for $44.99.
  18. macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2009
    It's still $60 on Steam.
  19. NMF
    macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2011
    It's been like $20 all over the place at different times over the past few weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for deep discounted digital sales. Borderlands 2 is a Steamworks game which means every PC copy needs Steam.

Speaking of which, MacRumors really dropped the ball on this news article. The fact that Borderlands 2 is Steamworks-enabled less than two months after release is HUGE. Screw Asper and their BS online store. If you're not playing this game on Steam, you are doing it wrong.

Oh TO HELL with Aspyr and their racket. They've ported so many games to Mac that aren't Steamworks-enabled. Maybe that's not a big deal to you, but I already own those games on PC and should be able to play them on my Mac as well. Thank god Gearbox must have some sort of deal to force them to release on Steam.

Every time I see that port of Batman: Arkham Asylum for $50 or whatever I rage.
  20. macrumors 68020

Mar 4, 2005
    You should write for gizmodo.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2012
    What were your new settings for the Mac port?

It plays beautifully under bootcamp on almost all high settings on my iMac (mid-2011, i7 3.4, AMD 6970M 2GB) but when I tried the Mac's TERRIBLE. No matter what resolution its stuttering and extremely slow/laggy.

Can anybody help me with improving performance??
  22. macrumors 601

Apr 3, 2003
    Or maybe we could show them we want Steam-powered games by, oh, I dunno, buying their Steam-powered games?
  23. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    Strange. It's about $2 cheaper here in the UK for both the Mac + PC version on Steam than it is for the Mac only one in the US. :confused:

Attached Files:

24. badsandwich, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

macrumors member

Sep 8, 2009
    You're thinking of Feral Interactive, who don't do Steam. Aspyr have only released a few games to date that weren't steamplay- black ops (EDIT: and Rage and Company of Heroes.)- and it wasn't very good.
  25. macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2007
    I had similar problems with the first Borderlands in OS X. Had to turn off a lot of effects even on very high end hardware. Even then performance was only decent.

I'd say it's time for Apple to put some investments (money) in game performance on OS X. Give Nvidia and AMD the resources they need to make the drivers in OS X perform closer to Windows. I can understand that it might be too much to ask it be on par, since Microsoft focused a lot on DirectX with the Xbox, and drivers are being developed at a much faster pace for Windows. But still, I think the performance difference between OS X compared to Windows for the same game on the same hardware is too big.