Borderless Printer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Craig R, May 11, 2004.

1. Craig R macrumors newbie

I need help. I currently have an Epson 785EX printer. Prior to switching to mac my Epson Printer worked great on my Windows machine. Since switching to my new mac this printer no longer prints borderless prints!

I need a recommendation for a printer ($100 - $150) which will work with the mac to print not only great, crisp photos, but also prints borderless.

Any recommendations would be helpful.
    Thanks!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would suggest any Canon printer as I have problems with borderless printing from the computer to my Epson as well, although it's fine without the computer.

3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

HP photosmart 7660 $130 great at pics and fast at text

4. bidge macrumors 6502

5. oldpismo macrumors member

I would go with one of the Canon ones, the picture quality is great.

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Epson R300

I have an Epson R300. Its fast, prints nice photos, has six ink carts so its good to change out the empties only, and it prints CD/DVDs. All for 179. Plus it reads common data card types directly like CF, and SD.

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Costco - 19 cent 4 x 6 Fuji prints - beautiful
    Wal-Mart - 24 cent 4 x 6 / brand prints - beautiful

I priced out what I was spending on consumables when printing photos at home - in the long run Costco works out to be a better deal - AND, you can digitally send your files and have prints delivered to your home for a nominal fee.

8. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

A warning about the Canon printers --

For a number of their bubblejets (the "i" series for sure, I'm not sure about the others), there's something wierd with the driver so OSX won't print across a network. It works great plugged directly into the computer and makes beautiful images, but the networking is non-existent (the only thing I haven't tried is network printing from one OSX to another OSX machine, that might work but I wouldn't guarantee it).

So if you're a one-computer home it's good, but if you've got multiple computers you may want to consider a company that published real cups drivers.

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

The issue with doing it this way is you lose control of the final print out. A printed photo is always cropped to some degree, and the machines at Costco and Wal-Mart don't have the eye I do when I'm doing it by hand.

Plus, I find most places (Costco definitely) have the colour balance a bit off when printing digital.

Even though it costs slightly more, my home-brewed prints look far better. Plus I can actually do an 8x10 cheaper :)