Border's DVD return policy?

Discussion in 'Community' started by goodtimes5, Dec 19, 2004.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

What is Border's return policy on scratched DVDs? I just bought the Ocean's 11 DVD, brought it home, watched an hour of it, when my DVD player is unable to continue because the disc is scratched. I look on the back, and there is indeed a long scratch.

I thought Borders sold only new DVDs. Anyways, would they give me an exchange?

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm pretty sure they'd exchange it for a new one if you explained that it was defective right out of the box.

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

They should exchange it no problem. It's when you start asking for your money back after you unwrapped it that they will give you a problem.

BEN

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Wouldn't this question be answered better by just calling them or driving back to the store.

jon

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

as the sales manager for a borders i can tell you we'd absolutely exchange it no problem.

if they give you a hard time pm me and i will shoot them an email or something :)

6. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Woo, easily exchanged.

Ocean's Eleven, great movie.
    Ocean's Twelve, great movie.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I tought 12 was terrible, but that is just me. Should have left it alone.

jon

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I bought a Bjork DVD from Borders several months ago and I got home only to discover there was NO DVD in the case. They gave me no trouble replacing it with a new one.....and let me open it before I drove all the way home again just to be sure.

9. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I tried to exchange a DVD someone bought for me at Borders. Since it was a gift, I didn't have a receipt. They wouldn't let me exchange it at all unless I had a receipt...I wan't even asking for a refund for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

10. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Same thing happened to me at Best Buy. I opened the second DVD case in the store to make sure it had the DVD inside...and strike two....no DVD again. That was their last copy of Gremlins too...bummer.

11. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Ocean's Twelve wasn't as good as Eleven, but you have to admit, it was still entertaining. Having Catherine Zeta-Jones certainly bumped it up.

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

that sucks, and that is totally not the company's policy.
    unless it was open or a non-stock special order, as long as we have a borders inventory code for it, we'll take it, no problem.
    while i am sorry you experienced that, you probably encounter some over-zealous seller or supervisor who was trying to weed out loss prevention issues or really misunderstood the return policy.
    god, i sound like a friggin ad.

13. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

The DVD was still totally wrapped and sealed, but no big deal. I just took it to Best Buy and exchanged it. I believe it was a supervisor that refused the exchange.

14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

sorry dude, that really sucks. we occasionally have a few of our supervisors get all protective of dvd returns (it comes in waves but there's a fair amount of theft in my store, since we're in a big shopping area and there's a newbury comics up the street who will buy back dvds), so the supervisors start seeing thieves on every corner. One supervisor is convinced she's the cia, i think, because she spies on groups of teenagers and if they go anywhere near the dvd section she attempts to deploy several employees to tail them...people who work in bookstores (myself included) are a little tapped.
    still, glad you were able to get someone to take the dvd back.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I had a rather different problem with Borders.

I went to their web site, and wanted to order gift cards for my nieces in Phoenix. I registered for the site, selected my gift cards, input all my information, including the shipping addresses and greetings to my nieces...and when I got to the final check out page, I got an error message, something like "Oops! We couldn't place your order. A supervisor has been notified."

Well, annoying, but I thought it was just an incompatibility with Safari. So I switched to Internet Explorer, got back to the site...and this time it wouldn't even recognize the registration. "No such name or password on file."

Screw it. My nieces are getting gift card for Target instead.

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

well that sounds like our website not the store....borders.com or bordersstores.com? Borders.com is part of amazon.com, so it's actually amazon's fault...if it was bordersstores.com i suggest calling a store, they'll be more than happy to mail the gift cards out to your nieces fedex.
    sorry about the inconvenience, but it sounds like a web issue and not one with the company.