Borders/Frames around Photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ashley, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ashley macrumors member

Jun 24, 2006
    Pretty basic, I just wanted to "talk" about the frames/borders that I've seen on pictures here and other forums -

1. Your thoughts - Are they necessary to make a picture pop? Do you like them?

2. How do you do it - Photoshop? Another program? While importing? Only the ones for a portfolio?

Thanks in advance!
  2. beavo451 macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2006
    They make the picture look better on a screen.

To create a simple frame in photoshop, go the Image->Canvas size. Then change the parameters to pixel. Check "Relative" and select your border color at the bottom. Then put in the border size you want in pixels in the "height" and "width" boxes.
  3. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    If the picture's good enough, it'll pop without a border! Small one px borders are ok, maybe a little thicker if you're displaying it in a gallery or something. Normally I'm not a fan of thick borders because they take away from the image - I'm so disgusted by the border that I can't even concentrate on the picture. :p
  4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2005
    I really don't like them. I feel they're just a cheap gimmick if your photo can't survive on its own. Once you put it in a frame, put a matte around it. But leave the photo to itself, free of extra color bulk.
  5. riel505 macrumors member

Feb 8, 2006
    borders usually make pictures looks 'done'. not that im saying that photos without borders don't look 'done' hehe. it's just that it looks more ready to display. like you're about to hang it on the wall. it doesnt have to be elaborate - it can as simple as black borders or white borders. but no matter what borders you use, if the picture cannot stand on its own, it wont help.

increasing canvas side and making it even on all sides is a quick and simple option. i normally use just black or white. more elaborate borders detract from the photo. the photo is the star! ;)