Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Anybody out there believe in the rebirth of the 17 inch Professional Macbook Pro coming back due to popular demand??
I believe there is a major revamp coming in September. Its been too long in the same case and Apple is being term, out'Apple'd by Dell XPS Line (13inch qHD screens in 11inch frame) etc.

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Nope. Not a chance. I doubt you could get 5K gpu in a Macbook without melting it.
It has been asked many times - there is zero indication that the 17" will return.
Im hoping against hope. I love large screened laptops. I had a Dell 17 m6500 2 years ago and really miss its 1920x1200 res, the screen was awesome and the size nice.
I remember choosing between my Mac Air 13 and Macbook pro 17 back in 2012 and regret everyday that I didn't buy the bigger one. I know 2 people with the 17inch Macbook Pro and Ive offered them the same money they paid new for them 3 years ago, and neither will sell.
Anyone over 40 I know who buys laptops buys 17inch. All.
there is a market.
I WANT one. :(

Reactions: Mnowell69

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Im hoping against hope. I love large screened laptops. I had a Dell 17 m6500 2 years ago and really miss its 1920x1200 res, the screen was awesome and the size nice.
I remember choosing between my Mac Air 13 and Macbook pro 17 back in 2012 and regret everyday that I didn't buy the bigger one. I know 2 people with the 17inch Macbook Pro and Ive offered them the same money they paid new for them 3 years ago, and neither will sell.
Anyone over 40 I know who buys laptops buys 17inch. All.
there is a market.
I WANT one. :(

Nope. Sorry. I am 47 and I always buy the 13". There is no popular demand.

Reactions: old-wiz

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would like a new MacBook Pro for video editing but I can't really consider it as a viable option without being a 17" model. The 15.4" is not large enough for the editing I do. I hope they come out with a new 17"!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Best chance would be a 15" inch redesign of the MBP in the line of the MacBook so having less bezel. 17" is gone for good.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Anybody out there believe in the rebirth of the 17 inch Professional Macbook Pro coming back due to popular demand??
I believe there is a major revamp coming in September. Its been too long in the same case and Apple is being term, out'Apple'd by Dell XPS Line (13inch qHD screens in 11inch frame) etc.

Wasn't that model discontinued, due to unpopular demand?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I would like a new MacBook Pro for video editing but I can't really consider it as a viable option without being a 17" model. The 15.4" is not large enough for the editing I do. I hope they come out with a new 17"!
It won't happen, the scaled screen options and much better clarity of the 15 inch rMBPwill give you just as much real estate and a much better screen for video and photo editing (especially with 4K and high pixel density pictures).

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Apple's (non) answer likely - stick around for a new Cinema Display/ get our own external Monitor. If you need 17" you're likely to be stationary so an external monitor works. Will be curious to see if he new Apple TV (and subsequent Macs) gets wifi 802.11ad - AirPlay could get a resolution bump.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Nope. Not a chance. I doubt you could get 5K gpu in a Macbook without melting it.

The current top-end 15" MacBook Pro already supports 5k. In terms of pixels pushed it is less than 2 4k displays.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202856 (look under 'Dual Cable displays'). Anyhow, a 'retina' version of the old 1920x1200 17" display would only be 4k (a bit higher than UHD if they kept the 16:10 ratio) and a 17" body (even slimmed down) has more space for cooling than a 15". Don't see the point of 5k in anything much smaller than 27".

So, I don't see its technically unfeasible as a product - the problem is that its a niche product that would be enthusiastically received by a handful of people.

I've got a 17" and its great, but the current 15" rMBP offers comparable screen estate in 'scaled' mode on the move and is dramatically easier to lug around. The size of the 17" makes it more of a desk-to-desk commuter than a laptop, and I've ended up having a decent large external display as my primary display wherever I use it frequently. I'd consider a hypothetical new 17" as a replacement, but I'd probably go 15", or even 13" if the next revision has better CPU/GPUs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Two chances apple will roll out a 17" MBP, slim and none and slim left town ;)

Apple killed off the sales for a reason, its my belief that it was financial, they were not making enough money to justify that model. With the 15" retina MacBook Pro and its scaling ability there's even less reason to have such a large laptop imo

NJPT

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
I'd agree that there's pretty much 0% probability of a 17" MBP. Best one could hope for might be the slim chance that Apple redesigns the 13" and 15" MBPs to have 14" and 16" screens in the same size enclosures. Dell's Infinity Display on its newer XPS models shows what's possible in terms of minimal bezels.

Reactions: t0mat0

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Never happen. This question/request pops up every now and again, but same answer. Too expensive, not popular, too heavy, and so on.

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
I want them to keep the 15" size but get rid of the bezel, that could add almost 2 inches while keeping the same formfactor. I look at the bezel and imagine what could have been, theres so much wasted space, and getting rid of the bezel would allow for a much needed design update.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
It won't happen, the scaled screen options and much better clarity of the 15 inch rMBPwill give you just as much real estate and a much better screen for video and photo editing (especially with 4K and high pixel density pictures).
As a professional editor, there's no substitute for screen size. The pixel density is nice, but I'd expect that or higher on a 17" screen. I'm not complaining, just saying that the size is too small for serious editing like the project I'm doing right now with 7 camera angles... being able to see detail with that plus the main viewer next to it is not the best experience on a screen that size.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As a professional editor, there's no substitute for screen size.
I agree there are specific usage cases where a larger display works better. The issue for laptops is that most people don't fall into that category, Those that do, usually get an external monitor or an iMac. I guess what I'm saying is of the group of people who definitely could benefit from a larger laptop, many of those of gone on to larger external displays or desktop computers. The market for large laptops has all but evaporated (not just for Macs but overall)

Last edited:

jf1450

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
I customize, upgrade and support Oracle applications. When not physically at the office I'm vpn / rdp into a Windoze (I know, I'm sorry, but it pays the bills) system with many windows open. I'd sell my 15" in a New York minute if Apple brought the 17" back but it'll never happen. I probably will get an external monitor though at some point since I'm sitting at a desk while working.

-jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.