Born Before 1986? Then You Are......OLD! And here's proof.

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Sep 8, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Every year Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin publishes what it calls "The Mindset List"--fun facts and figures about the incoming crop of freshmen so professors will be able to relate to their new students.

Beloit says the list is a reminder that the world view of today's new college students is significantly different from the intellectual framework of those students who entered only a few years earlier. Put another way, it's a reminder that you are getting on in years.

Today's college freshmen were born in 1986, the same year that Chernobyl melted down and the Challenger exploded. Clint Eastwood was elected mayor of Carmel, Calif., and the Soviets were bogged down for the seventh year of frustration in Afghanistan. Domestically, we were preoccupied by the Iran Contra scandal and internationally, the Iran-Iraq war continued to reveal a disturbing list of atrocities.

So to better understand how the class of 2008 thinks, read this and feel your age:
    Most students entering college this fall were born in 1986.
    Desi Arnaz, Orson Welles, Roy Orbison, Ted Bundy, Ayatollah Khomeini, and Cary Grant have always been dead.
    "Heeeere's Johnny!" is a scary greeting from Jack Nicholson, not a warm welcome from Ed McMahon.
    The Energizer bunny has always been going and going and going.
    Large fine-print ads for prescription drugs have always appeared in magazines.

Photographs have always been processed in an hour or less.
    They never got a chance to drink 7-Up Gold, Crystal Pepsi, or Apple Slice.
    Baby Jessica could be a classmate.
    Parents may have been reading "The Bourne Supremacy" or "It" as they rocked them in their cradles.
    Alan Greenspan has always been setting the nation's financial direction.

The U.S. has always been a Prozac nation.
    They have always enjoyed the comfort of pleather.
    Harry has always known Sally.
    They never saw Roseanne Roseannadanna live on "Saturday Night Live."
    There has always been a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They never ate a McSub at McD's.
    There has always been a Comedy Channel.
    Bill and Ted have always been on an excellent adventure.
    They were never tempted by smokeless cigarettes.
    Robert Downey, Jr. has always been in trouble.

Martha Stewart has always been cooking up something with someone.
    They have always been comfortable with gay characters on television.
    Mike Tyson has always been a contender.
    The government has always been proposing we go to Mars, and it has always been deemed too expensive.
    There have never been any Playboy Clubs.

There have always been night games at Wrigley Field.
    Rogaine has always been available for the follicularly challenged.
    They never saw USA Today or the Christian Science Monitor as a TV news program.
    Computers have always suffered from viruses.
    We have always been mapping the human genome.

Politicians have always used rock music for theme songs.
    Network television has always struggled to keep up with cable.
    O'Hare has always been the most delay-plagued airport in the U.S.
    Ivan Boesky has never sold stock.
    Toll-free 800 phone numbers have always spelled out catchy phrases.

Bethlehem has never been a place of peace at Christmas.
    Episcopal women bishops have always threatened the foundation of the Anglican Church.
    Svelte Oprah has always dominated afternoon television; who was Phil Donahue anyway?
    They never flew on People Express.
    AZT has always been used to treat AIDS.

The international community has always been installing or removing the leader of Haiti.
    Oliver North has always been a talk show host and news commentator.
    They have suffered through airport security systems since they were in strollers.
    They have done most of their search for the right college online.
    Aspirin has always been used to reduce the risk of a heart attack.

They were spared the TV ads for Zamfir and his panpipes.
    Castro has always been an aging politician in a suit.
    There have always been non-stop flights around the world without refueling.
    Cher hasn't aged a day.
    M.A.S.H. was a game: Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

This is always a fun list to review for us "old" guys. At least I was only in high school when these kids were born...

3. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

and how were the 80's emw? were they all what they are cracked up to be? or more fluff than anything else?

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think we all like to look back on our youth (which in this case, was before you were even born) and talk about how fantastic it was. Or how good today's kids have it (when I was a kid, dammit, I had to play video games on a black and white TV!).

Some things were great (music - "867-530 ni-ee-ine"; the dawn of personal computing - the first Mac; movies - "Greed is good"), some things were not so great (music - "Oh Mickey you're so fine..."; the dawn of personal computing - Windows; movies - how many break-dancing movies do you need, really?).

All in all, I enjoyed the 80's, if for no other reason than it was the period of time during which I was growing up. No major wars in which the US was involved, the economy was okay, etc. Would I rather be growing up now? Maybe - we could've had a G5 iMac instead of a TRS-80 with a tape drive; I could've blown money buying an x-box instead of running down to the local convenience store for Reese's Pieces and a few rounds of Donkey Kong; my friends and I would've sat around programming shareware for OS X instead of stupid software for the Commodore 64.

But then, for better or worse, I wouldn't be who I am today. I enjoy my life - I've got a great family and a decent house with good friends and a job I enjoy. Sure, I had to put up with my high school friends dressing up like Duran Duran, but then each generation has that...

5. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Well, look at it this way: Growing up under the constant threat of nuclear war thanks to Reagan's escalating arms race with the Soviet Union and stupid public comments about Communism being the root of all evil, wondering if there will ever be a time when there is no national deficit, listening to the Presidents of the United States bungle resources to fight HIV/AIDS because they were homophobic, and watching the rise of the theocratic Right. Definitely not fluff, but not what they could have been had we elected Carter in 1980.

There was lots of great music too. Some of the most experimental pop, rock, hip-hop, and punk bands were on the scene. Great music. Oh, and we got to see the pinnacle of Keneau Reeves' acting career in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure", as well as Tom Cruise's in "Born on the Fourth of July." ;)

6. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Carter.. he of 13% annual inflation? He of zero foreign policy, except of course for giving away the Panama Canal... Clearly you were a teenager (at most) in the 80's, and a sheltered one at that. If you think Reagan was a religioso, there is no way you can really remember Carter... who only stopped quoting the Bible long enough to talk about the UFO he saw. What needed to happen was John Anderson.

(If I misconstrued your post, and you were not suggesting Carter was a better choice, then I apologize... but any post suggesting hip-hop is, was, or ever could be good music, is still HIGHLY SUSPECT)

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Yep, the same Reagan who's policies brought about the end of the cold war, the end of the Soviet empire and brought the Berlin Wall down too right? Yeah, it was such a bad time. :D

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sheesh. How is it we went from a fairly light-hearted topic to discussions of Cold War, Reaganomics, etc.? I guess we're going to have to move this topic to another area of the forum...

9. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

This is your opinion; others' may vary. Why would the quality of someone's posts be based upon whether they had a certain opinion of a certain genre of music?

If everyones' mode of thought was the same, there would be no MR right now.

10. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I was born in late late late 1985.. and I feel cheated by this headline.

WTF is Apple Slice?

11. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Um, maybe because the Panama Canal isn't actually anywhere near the United States? Just because we use the resources of Latin American countries doesn't mean we should own them too. Too bad for us if we have to play fair in global politics. I take it Carter was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for nothing?

Quoting the Bible equals not a theocratic United States. Being religious is not the same as the Religious Right. If Reagan got his way (along with Bush I) women wouldn't have the right to abortions, gays and lesbians would be jailed, and South Africa would still be under Apartheid.

I tend to agree with you that the United States needed a viable third party candidate to challenge both Reagan and Carter. At least Anderson would have responded to domestic challenges a lot differently. None of the third party candidates since Anderson have had his appeal (he was genuinely running on a fusion ticket), and Perot was just a nut-job with a lot of money. Anyone but Reagan would have been better equipped to be President in the 1980s - Carter or Anderson.

Um, hip-hop is not just good, it's excellent.

12. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Kinda like regular orange or lemon/lime Slice (which is still around today), only apple (or apple cider-ish) flavored. It was OK, and Slice was releasing a host of flavors to launch its lineup (there was a berry slice as well, if I remember, and possibly a grape).

I actually think it would sell better today, since sour apple seems to be the newer flavor rage.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Hey, I remember when in the 80's MTV actually played Music Videos. The Cosby Show was the biggest hit on TV. Cable only had 30 channels and you had to get up to change the channel. He-man and GI-Joe were the greatest cartoons ever.

14. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

LOL - me too. I think you can still find videos on like MTV2, 3, or whatever number they're on now. Did anyone here actually watch the dawn of MTV ("Video Killed the Radio Star")?

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No, even MTV2 sucks now, the only real good channel now is VH1 Classic as even VH1 has sold out and decided that videos are dead.

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

Not bad ("I have the POWER!"), but I have to throw in the original Dungeons and Dragons cartoons as one of the tops of the 80's.

17. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Ninja Turtles

Who can forget them?! Although I grew up watching most of their early 90's material.

18. bryanc macrumors 6502

The original D&D was a product of the '70s...in the '80s we played "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons". I still have my copy of the AD&D DMG, players handbook and monster manual (as well as an assortment of character sheets, polyhedral dice, and hand-drawn maps &cetera stained with sweat, coke, and frantically scribbled notes).

Those were the days, eh?

Cheers

19. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

When I'm somewhere with digital cable or satellite, I watch a lot of Fuse. They show some pretty good stuff... and no filler!

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

:rolleyes:

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

yeah, I played the original and the AD&D.

In fact, I am currently using my +5 cloak of invisibility to hide my activities from my employer. :D

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I suppose I missed the "dawn" of MTV, since it wasn't widely available when it first appeared in 1981. But I did get in early; I know that my friends and I were hooked on MTV by 1983 or so. We'd go over to my friend's house to watch it because he had cable television -- this was before everyone had cable television. ;)

23. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

I like FUSE on DishNetwork. Its a good channel for music videos. Or if im watching Canadian TV, MuchMoreMusic or MuchLOUD. Both are good for acutal music videos.

24. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Hee hee - I cast Ray of Enfeeblement on my boss to get days off, and since I'm half-elf I can use infravision to diagnose problems with our XServe. My +2 Ring of Turning Undead is also useful for when I have to work late after the sun sets. :D

25. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

This list just doesn't pack the same punch for me that the ones 5 years ago did.

I don't know if they just picked a list of items that are of no particular import / interest to me, if we're going through a time period where in the early-mid 80's not much was happening, or if I'm just too far removed from American (US) culture (since this year's list seems to be very US centric).

Earlier lists with items like that fact that the people entering college didn't remember an East/West Germany just seemed so much more profound to me.