borrow sister's powerbook and wait for macbook pro?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by redrabbit, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. redrabbit macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #1
    Sorry for another macbook pro thread but I am about to become a first time mac user and really want to make the best purchase available.

    Here's my situation. I was hoping the mbp with merom would be announced this week but I highly doubt that I would be able to get one for college that starts next week in time anyways. So I asked my sister and she said I could borrow her powerbook 15" until the new one comes out and return her powerbook in november when I visit for thanksgiving or ship it before then if need be. I hope the new mpb with merom would be out by then. The problem is I lose out on the free ipod deal and possibly the printer deal by then.

    My other option is to buy the macbook pro this week, with the old chips and get the free ipod nano for sure.

    Right now, I have a old black and white 20 gig ipod.

    If you guys had any advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks
     
  2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #2
    Wow, you sound like the MBP is running on a Pentium 3. For christ sake, they're practically the fastest notebooks on the planet. buy it when you need it. :rolleyes:
     
  3. extraextra macrumors 68000

    extraextra

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #3
    What's wrong with the old black and white 20GB iPods? I have one, it's great.
     
  4. macaddicted macrumors regular

    macaddicted

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Down on Copperline...
    #4
    Simple rule for computer purchases: If you need it now buy it now. No matter how long you wait your computer will no longer be the latest and greatest, most likely within a year.

    FWIW it seems extremely likely that the new MBP will be introduced by November, probably even sooner.
     
  5. macaddicted macrumors regular

    macaddicted

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Down on Copperline...
    #5
    I agree. I worked a 1G 5GB to death and listen almost every day to a 3G 30GB at my shop. Just because it's old doesn't mean it is worthless.
     
  6. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #6
    I`d say wait. As you can do without the MBP for some time. Atleast wait till September. Hopefully MBP might be updated by then and you can get the Merom MBP along with iPod rebate. Or in case the Merom MBP still doesnt make it then decide for your self if the nano deal is really important for you. If yes then go for it. Otherwise wait for the Meroms.
     
  7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #7
    I agree with this.

    Also, unless Apple changes the design, adds new stuff, or lowers the price, the Core 2 Duo processors aren't going to be that much better than the Core Duo.

    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=1
     

Share This Page